News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 634     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
What, but a chain store or restaurant, in a touristy area?!?

Getting aside from architecture, who says the Bostons and Chicagos *wouldn't* tolerate "corporate chain restaurants and the like" in the most visible parts of their downtown hearts? It's tourist and suburban-daytripper dollars, bay-bee--look at the Magnificent Mile, et al. If you want gentility, look to the side streets...

Sorry if I wasn't clear. It's the shabby second rate architecture they wouldn't tolerate, not the surfeit of chain stores which obviously plague tourist zones worldwide, be they Paris, Tokyo or Jacksonville, Fla. The post I was replying to made it sound like we should be eternally grateful we're even getting such fine brands regardless of the third rate architecture and sub-par finishes they come packaged in. While lower tier cities like (----pick one---) would no doubt be lining up at the global-brand glory hole to receive their joyful ministrations from the likes of Jack Astors and Adidas, I think we, those of us in Toronto, should be holding out for something a little finer.

Er...actually, in that photo, I find the visible architecture (and I mean the *newer* stuff, never mind Paramount) plainly superior to Metropolis--even that "banal" 70s box to the left. And as for that which is "ad covered", it's a matter of either more felicity in the design/accomodation of ads (thanks to thoroughgoing TS-area architectural/planning guidelines over the past quarter century); or else, in the case of the ex-Times/Allied Chemical tower in the middle, the merciful total-coverage of a mutilated white elephant.

Your judgment's clumsy IMO.

There is no stand out purpose specific advertising covered building that is significantly better than Metropolis in the photo I posted.And then you make a post indicating the buildings are superior, but you never state why. Your like this building is superior ...ah..i dunno. Because it's in Times Square and it's a banal box. Oh yeah I get it, you must be some new age design student.

In relation to both large commercial/retail/advertising complexes across the street: The Eaton Centre and, yes, Atrium on Bay.

This project is not finished. Only 1 tenant has moved in and there are still 4 or 5 Billboards which have to be installed

- the retail signage still has to be installed
- the named sponsor signage has yet to be installed
- etc, etc

All buildings should attempt to have architectural merit, no matter what their use and budget. Especially when they're located on the busiest pedestrian intersection in the country.

This building is fullifilling a task specific purpose of creating and intimate enclosed square , with a billboard covered exterior. It design has merit in creating a streetwall Dundas didn't have before.

Like Times Square (which as we all know is not really a square) the Yonge Street "Strip" has been a media/advertising zone for many decades. We are not new to this and we don't get a mulligan for inexperience

But Dundas Square is brand new - conceptualized 12 years ago. A reality for about 5 years

It would if this project were IN Mississauga which is where the poster is suggesting it should go. In truth, Mississauga deserves something much better than TLS and, indeed, would demand and acquire something superior. (Face it: Missy, for all its faults, actually seems to care about its architecture.)

wow...that's an unbelieveable statement. Maybe you need to read it again and then move to Mississauga.

Typical strawman arguement. The Flea Market was never more than a temporary fill in and the choice was not Flea Market or TLS. Any city that thinks this way has self-esteem issues and is doomed to perpetual mediocrity.

To sum up: TLS apologists typically base their arguements around strawmen, negative reasoning and cynicism. Sorry, but that doesn't cut it anymore, not in a city that competes with the likes of Montreal, Chicago and New York for tourist dollars, conventions and executive offices.

If we are doomed to mediorcrity I suggest you move out. Because you are obviously so high and mighty you don't belong here. This is one building, which is not even completed. This is a building which will evolve in time, it in no way suggest mediorcrity; and when you see all the tourist gawking at it taking pictures in front of it, you'll know that for sure. And Toronto is not in a global competition with any cities. We are a city evolving and redefining ourselves. If you don't see our greatness, then maybe your blind....maybe you just don't want to see it because your the one with the defeatist attitude.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. It's the shabby second rate architecture they wouldn't tolerate, not the surfeit of chain stores which obviously plague tourist zones worldwide, be they Paris, Tokyo or Jacksonville, Fla. The post I was replying to made it sound like we should be eternally grateful we're even getting such fine brands regardless of the third rate architecture and sub-par finishes they come packaged in. While lower tier cities like (----pick one---) would no doubt be lining up at the global-brand glory hole to receive their joyful ministrations from the likes of Jack Astors and Adidas, I think we, those of us in Toronto, should be holding out for something a little finer.

I think we, those of us in Toronto, should be holding out for something a little finer - GOOD ONE!
Ha Ha Ha!
I bet, in order to get any serious anchor tenants, the landlords approached companies and gave them a 'can't say no' offer- perhaps very low base rent but a bit steep on the '% of sales' thingy - so that if you are high volume high mark up, (say, electronics) you are laughing.

One of the things that drags down the Distillery District is the lack of chain restaurants and the professional management, quality control in product and service, and advertising that chains bring to what could be an interesting tourist spot.

I have every hope and confidence that TLS will be filled with nothing but internationally known brand name stores and restaurants/ dreaded eateries.

If anyone here is looking to go out of business, be a completely inexperienced neophyte, rent a shop at or about Dundas Sqare runt it and open up a store or a restaurant, and get prepared to have creditors sending you lots and lots of mail. You'd never know you could be so wanted!

One of the things that drags down the Distillery District is the lack of chain restaurants

You don't really mean that, do you?

clearly this person has never been to said Distillery District... "down" is hardly the way I see it... unless you mean me falling down after a few dozen samples at the Mill St Brewery. The lack of chains, the great mix of uses, and uniqueness of the district have created a huge magnet for activity, hardly down.

Unless he's speaking of this Distillery District?

2071661898_feb689e850_o.jpg

Actually what drags down the DD is the fact it feels artificial and phoney. It reminds me of the days as a youngster visiting the "city" aka Stratford Ontario where everyyear more "phonies" moved in and took over the shops. Locals don't shop@downtown Stratford; locals don't shop@DD? I don't! I like staring at old rundown abandoned buildings; not Waspy granny types....

Hey actually that's an idea for the future DD: Tim Horton's so I don't have to deal with the phonies@Balzacs!

Unless he's speaking of this Distillery District?

2071661898_feb689e850_o.jpg

*Jizzes all over this photo*

WOW, What a great city we have become! All of you naysayers aren't taking this into context. These bigbox surban retail restaurants and wacky-waving-inflatable-arm-flailing-tube-man emporium are not a cultural project, they are designed to provide fast food and cheap entertainment, and they serve that purpose perfectly! It's not even finished yet -- there's still a Jugo-Juice stand and shopping cart racks to be installed, so you have no right to judge it until it's complete!

This is way better than the crap that was there 1 year ago. Snooty art galleries and cafes? Beatnik pottery? Please!

Architecture and design asthetics in general don't matter at all as long as a project does what it set out to do.

Um, who's this Are Be fellow? Wouldn't want to disagree agree with him, as he seems to be right on about a lot of things- see Transit City, for example.

Um the Distillery District is OK. But a Firkin Pub or some other chain type thing would fit in in PERFECTLY- - as would one of those horrific Starbucks with their crap, overpriced, acidic coffee! And, there are some money issues there- which could be solved if chains were allowed in.

Remember - forcing an arts community into existence = bullshit.

OK - back on topic - Toronto Life Square= crap building with good anchor tenant (probably due to favourable leases - not my problem). Crappiness Largely related by grand scale municipal mismanagement of the project (at taxpayer expense.)
IT COULD BE A LOT WORSE- we could pass a law forbidding advertising, We could pass a law that- for environmental reasons- we don't; want any ads lit up. HEY! Let's think like city hall! LET'S BAN - TO SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT- ANYTHING BUT LOW ENREGEY ADVERTISING AT TLS!!! It's such a shitty idea- it's sure to fly and get grand scale support!!!

Back