News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 862     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I think using corporate logos on pictures or on public websites without written permission from the company is illegal. It violates copyright laws. FYI.

They're both contrived, but I'll take DD over TLS any day. At least there is some historical and aesthetic merit to the old distillery buildings regardless of tenants- whether chucky cheese or Dolce & gabbana the buildings will be attractive. Metropolis is doomed to ugliness.

TLS It's almost an archetype- darn well near worth studying or having a masters thesis on, in some really sick kind of way...
It is a billboard with lecture halls that were paid for by a movie theater company (thus the theatre component). It fronts or forms part of a public square. Combined with the fact it has storefront on to a major street, it attracts crappy touristy things. (You show me a tourist trap in a G7/8 nation, and I'll show you a crappy McD's/ Burger King, and in Asia a KFC. next to it - may also have a pub based on the misconception of what they are truly like- linoleum floors and fluorescent lights)
ANYWAY - the thing about TLS- shit as it is on the face of it, it is an interesting building because it serves so many diverse functions. Neeto, eh? But still crap.

Turd - the comparisons you've been making between the Distillery and TLS have been - mmm - interesting, but if you want to post lengthy articles about the Distillery, please take it to a Distillery thread. Thanks so much for your attention to this matter.

Does anybody know what RB look like? What's his name? I have a suspicion that I know him.

June 24, 2006

The date on that article... I can say that this year was a major turning point for the DD.. it's finally established itself, and people actually KNOW where you're talking about... The businesses that shut down before opened before the area was well known and suffered the first couple years and shut down before they could reap the benefits... the newer businesses, I've heard, are doing very well.

Also, the DD will definately benefit further from better access to public transit, higher residential density, and lets face it better/more marketing and event planning. Is this off topic though? Anyhow, TLS is definately not a piece of art and better architecture would certainly have been preferred - I don't think anybody here is denying that - however, it is not the unmitigated disaster that some here would claim it to be. It is a commercial building that will no doubt get better with time and usage, it has a fantastic location on Yonge Street and on the edge of one of Toronto's best public spaces, and it is big, bold and *ahem* 'noticeable'. So what's the crime? This is the heart of downtown not the Distillery, nor Yorkville nor Cabbagetown.

Does anybody know what RB look like? What's his name? I have a suspicion that I know him.

My name is Turd! (not mud, and I want to be clear about this, ok?!)
Anyway- TLS - interesting crap building because it has various functions. Further, in some way- it may reflect something as Ryerson had a cinema company build lecture halls for it. Kind of interesting that ravings against companies will take place in a hall built and paid for by companies...

...it has a fantastic location on Yonge Street and on the edge of one of Toronto's best public spaces, and it is big, bold and *ahem* 'noticeable'. So what's the crime?

It's a crime because it has a fantastic location on Yonge Street, on the edge of one of Toronto's best public spaces, and it is big, ugly and noticeable. :)

Bold? Not so sure about that. I find it quite underwhelming given the hype. MAybe the new CityTV digs will help liven things up more.

lol, well I suppose that is the flip side of the coin, isn't it! :) Oh well, I'd have liked a taller and more spectacular building here but it just doesn't seem like that was ever in the works.

I would like to see a super tall, super slim building on that site - 277 Victoria. I say at least as tall as, if not taller than the Pantages down the street. It would, as with the TLS, need to be covered in glittery ads and video screens.

New lights have been installed along the East Side of Yonge Street near Metropolis...all part of the Yonge/Dundas redevelopment. Lights look terrific! Look forward to the other side being done too...

PS - Is Frank's Hot Dog Palace leased? The lease sign is down and the place is cleaned up....

what's going on??

Back