News   Apr 18, 2024
 704     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.3K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
caltrane:

The Eaton Centre is the poster child for building evolution. Whether the evolution is for better or worse is a totally subjective matter.

Err, no. The former is aesthetically pleasing inside and out, with thoughtful design, generous spaces and fairly good materials. There is nothing subjective about that one.

AoD

Well the cost of improving the exterior signage should be borne by the advertisers. In the end, its for their benefit anyways, and this is very likely in the future.

Signage yes. I can see advertisers not only paying for, but competing for creative media here.

And hey, disagreeing, whining and bitching about projects is what this forum is all about !!! :)
I'd say the vast majority of the projects are better than this. In fact, the current state of architecture in Toronto is pretty damn good right now, imo. This thing is an exception.

caltrane:

Err, no. The former is aesthetically pleasing inside and out, with thoughtful design, generous spaces and fairly good materials. There is nothing subjective about that one.

AoD

Quick Question: Did the building renovations over the past 8 years make the Eaton Centre better or worse?

If you say better, then obivously there were parts of the Eaton Centre that needed retooling to create the pleasing exterior/interior aesthetics.

With regards to Metropolis, I have hope that this building will get better over time and that other developments in the area will create a cohesive mesh down the road. BTW: Metropolis is still at least "7 months" away from completion so there will be lots more to comment on both positive and negative.

I'd say the vast majority of the projects are better than this. In fact, the current state of architecture in Toronto is pretty damn good right now, imo. This thing is an exception.

But your looking at this project and comparing it to cultural projects. This is not a cultural project, this is a retail & advertising project and this is the context in which you must view it in.

Well the cost of improving the exterior signage should be borne by the advertisers. In the end, its for their benefit anyways, and this is very likely in the future.

The Eaton Centre is the poster child for building evolution. Whether the evolution is for better or worse is a totally subjective matter.

Cal, the difference is that the EC went from no ads to ads therefore resulting in more revenue than before. TLS will not generate any more money by replacing the ad formats. You will have the same number of viewers. I don't expect that the ad formats will be replaced for many many years. Face it folks, we're stuck with this POS for a long long time.

Cal, the difference is that the EC went from no ads to ads therefore resulting in more revenue than before. TLS will not generate any more money by replacing the ad formats. You will have the same number of viewers. I don't expect that the ad formats will be replaced for many many years. Face it folks, we're stuck with this POS for a long long time.

Yes, but in the future some leasing clients at Metropolis, may be willing to pay for upgrading their advertising to create high impact visuals in the area.

_____

As for Metropolis itself, it looks to have been constructed of very long lasting materials I would suspect that it will remain at this corner for at least 100 years before it is torn down ( and at least 50 years before it is extensively renovated)

PenEquity is one of the larger retail investment companies out there ... hardly one with little or no experience.

All of their other properties are in suburban locations and, even there, their track record is spotty. Any DD would have revealed that they weren't up to the task of creating a major urban attraction.

To think we suffered through all those months (years?) of anticipation, a field of weeds, a big hole and ten hoarding...for this? It is an eyesore to be sure, but as a commercial display it is also quite underwhelming.

Still 4 more ads to go including the Trivision installation. Then on top of that we still have all the retailing signage (including AMC) and the sponsor signage for Toronto Life Square.

The city is fully to blame for its inablity to have the hoarding removed and a temporary use setup for the site (a paved lot for street vendors?)

Hardly. The city couldn't go in, tear down hoarding on a construction site and pave it over, especially since it did not own the land in question.

But your looking at this project and comparing it to cultural projects. This is not a cultural project, this is a retail & advertising project and this is the context in which you must view it in.
What makes you think that? I'm comparing it to everything, including residential and commercial.

Viewing this project in context is irrelevant when it looks like crap. You can also look at a pile of sh*t "in context", and come out with different perspectives and opinions of it. In the end, it will still look like a pile of sh*t. There are plenty of retail-advertising projects around the world that look thousands of times better than this monstrosity.

I, and the vast majority of the public who are not in the advertising industry, choose to view it for what it is: an ugly, stupid waste of a building site.

Please note the following:
  • This project sucks
  • It is of little architectural merit
  • This has been done in other places, and much, much better.
  • This project is better suited to Mississauga
  • Pen Equity sucks
  • The city sucks for allowing this to happen

And trust me Metropolis is far better than the crap that was standing there 12 years ago. Do you guys remember?...the Old 40's style Bakery, the Harvey's, and the Flea Market Mall contraption...give me a break!

This is exactly what people are going to say about the project that replaces Metropolis whenever it gets torn down.

Back