News   Apr 25, 2024
 609     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 506     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 755     0 

10-14 McCaul St (Malabar Limited building, potential redevelopment)

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The Malabar Limited costume shop building at 10-14 McCaul St has been listed for sale online at the asking price of $21,500,000.

In the listing, they mention potential for redevelopment towards residential or office usage:

*The Property Is The First Building North Of Queen St. *Building Has 110 Ft. Frontage, 3 Storey Building Plus Lower Level *Has Very Good Potential To Be Re-Developed To High Rise Residential Or Office Building *Existing Business Includes Retail Sale Of Dance Supplies And Costume Rentals And Is Included In The Price (26019376)

1578629107409.png

Last edited:
That building is so lovely - I hope whoever buys it gives it a good scrubbing. The bricks are bright yellow!

Completely unprotected from a heritage perspective.

Not listed, not designated, not in a Conservation District.

As was being recently discussed.........misallocation of resources.

Well there goes a lovely piece of history, nice work by Toronto Heritage Planning and the Toronto Preservation Board, instead of protecting buildings like this they are busy listing a whole bunch of useless buildings in the suburbs to which no one cares about.

Wow, what a brutal oversight. This building has such lovely brick detail, and though worse for wear, actually has its cornice mostly intact. Wishful thinking but hopefully whoever purchases the site feels similarly, even if the best we can hope for is facade retention.

Edit: Did a Google search on the address and came across this article: https://www.blogto.com/real-estate-toronto/2021/09/14-mccaul-street-toronto/. Re-listed a couple times with price drops; does anyone know if it ever sold, or is it off the market? Perhaps it's not too late to get the city to look into designating this building.

Last edited:
Wow, what a brutal oversight. This building has such lovely brick detail, and though worse for wear, actually has its cornice mostly intact. Wishful thinking but hopefully whoever purchases the site feels similarly, even if the best we can hope for is facade retention.

There's still time to protect this building; there's no application in yet, and it hasn't yet been sold.

But a fire needs to be lit under Heritage Preservation Services to prioritize this and get a designation report to Council ASAP.

There's still time to protect this building; there's no application in yet, and it hasn't yet been sold.

But a fire needs to be lit under Heritage Preservation Services to prioritize this and get a designation report to Council ASAP.
Would it help to get it on the radar of the local councilor (Cressy?)?

Well that answers my question, I should've refreshed before editing! Thank you. I don't live in Toronto proper anymore but would gladly sign anything, lend whatever support to get something started, however one goes about that.

Facade-retention support grounding would be my guess.
I went downtown for the first time today in two years. Had an appt at Toronto General, but got off the subway at St. George and walked across Bloor (was overwhelmed by the scope of Eataly!) and went down Yonge to Dundas and across (with a diversion to City Hall…there was a wonderful First Nations conference going on. OMG…I follow UT every day, but until I was actually downtown…what can I say, STUNNED! I previously lived downtown for 15 years and was a huge walker. I knew every downtown nuance like the back of my hand. I have been an Etobicokan for quite a while. I was a friggin TOTAL tourist…and it showed…and I was born here lol. I was looking everywhere but not sure what to focus on. I was even unsure momentarily where I was. It was an amazing pandemic outing for someone like me who has been so isolated by choice. It was like I travelled somewhere without having to do covid testing, lol.

I was in touch the last few days with Mr. Cressy’s office about the Malabar building. His associate responded and said they agreed with me and that though the building is neither designated nor listed…it will come up in the new year, as needing to be retained.

Btw…please help me out…I stipulated to his office that retention is best and that though not desirable as best would be facadectomy. I know what it is but I‘m not sure how it’s pronounced…is it a hard or soft “c” 😊?

Thank goodness it was by email, not phone convo lol

Btw…please help me out…I stipulated to his office that retention is best and that though not desirable as best would be facadectomy. I know what it is but I‘m not sure how it’s pronounced…is it a hard or soft “c” 😊?

Thank goodness it was by email, not phone convo lol

Facade, is with a soft "c". In "facadectomy", the first "c" is soft, the second "c" hard.

Facade, is with a soft "c". In "facadectomy", the first "c" is soft, the second "c" hard.
The first "c" of both words is often written with a cedilla, even in English, a language that only uses diacritics in loanwords nowadays, which softens the letter as used in French, Portuguese, and a few other languages.

Façade and façadectomy

Last edited:

Back