News   Apr 22, 2024
 801     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 268     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 673     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Fat Burger Toronto is now open @ Bathurst & Bloor. (Where Green Beanery used to be)
They only used up half the space. A Vape store took the other half. (of the former Green Beanery)
I wonder how long they'll last up against Top Burger, A&W, Burger's Priest and a few other burger options in the area, close by.

Fat Burger Toronto is now open @ Bathurst & Bloor. (Where Green Beanery used to be)
They only used up half the space. A Vape store took the other half. (of the former Green Beanery)
I wonder how long they'll last up against Top Burger, A&W, Burger's Priest and a few other burger options in the area, close by.
Speaking of Burger's Priest - they recently shuttered on Queen Street. No surprise, as the store was steps away from the future Ontario Line subway construction.
IMG_7766.JPG

"Pearl Yorkville" will be opening in the old Second Cup location at 730 Yonge street. It's nice to see something go into the space, as it was vacated a while back - as was most of the interior tenants. The only constants have been the Dollarama and K-wok, which opened in late 2017/early 2018 after more than 15 years as Zyng.

It'll be interesting to see how this area is impacted with all the changes in the neighbourhood.
IMG_8511.JPG

I think the K-wok place was one of Toronto's most legendary Thai restaurants when I moved here. Green Mango. It was one of only a handful of Thai places in the entire city, which has obviously changed.

I think the K-wok place was one of Toronto's most legendary Thai restaurants when I moved here. Green Mango. It was one of only a handful of Thai places in the entire city, which has obviously changed.
Well, it used to be across the street, and it was ok, for fast food. Bangkok Garden was quite good in the early 1990s, but the reference back then was Young Thailand, at Gerrard and Jarvis.

Yeah, that and Golden Thai were the sit down Thai places. Green Mango was the cheap student hangout, which I was at the time. Food in Toronto has come a long way in just 20 years!

Pics from my recent visit to Día, the new restaurant in the Canopy Hilton hotel, in Rosedale on Bloor at 387 Bloor East. The restaurant and main hotel lobby are on the 2nd floor. There will be an outdoor patio space on the south side of the 2nd floor, presumably part of Día. When asked about a restaurant on a higher floor, our waiter said that was not the case.
IMG_20230317_190158.jpg
IMG_20230317_190231.jpg
IMG_20230317_193627.jpg
IMG_20230317_190236.jpg
IMG_20230317_203040.jpg

The second floor main lobby:
IMG_20230317_195451.jpg
IMG_20230317_203133.jpg
IMG_20230317_203140.jpg
IMG_20230317_203148.jpg

First floor lobby:
IMG_20230317_190044.jpg

Interior work ongoing at the retail unit to the left of the main entrance at grade:
IMG_20230317_203737.jpg

"Pearl Yorkville" will be opening in the old Second Cup location at 730 Yonge street. It's nice to see something go into the space, as it was vacated a while back - as was most of the interior tenants. The only constants have been the Dollarama and K-wok, which opened in late 2017/early 2018 after more than 15 years as Zyng.

It'll be interesting to see how this area is impacted with all the changes in the neighbourhood.
View attachment 461992

I heard a rumour that the Dollarama next door is going to relocate to face the street, (same building/area) but I have no idea how true that rumour is...& if at all true, what becomes of the current Dollarama space?
I'm strictly guessing a new restaurant...???

Last edited:

Shake Shack announces it is finally coming to Canada

The burger chain will open a flagship location in Toronto in 2024

March 22, 2023

Attention burger lovers – Shake Shack is coming to Canada.

More than five years after it launched a one-day pop up restaurant in Toronto, Shake Shack (SHAK) announced Wednesday that it will officially enter the Canadian market in 2024, starting with the opening of a flagship location in Toronto. While the company did not disclose other location plans, it said it will open 35 Shake Shacks by 2035.

“We have been eyeing this incredible opportunity in Canada for quite some time and are elated to have found exceptional partners to serve Shack classics and bespoke Canada-exclusive items to our sophisticated neighbours to the north,” Michael Kark, Shake Shack’s chief global licensing officer, said in a statement.

The U.S. burger chain said it will collaborate with local producers “to create a special Shack experience unique to the Toronto community.” The menu will also feature signature Shake Shack items, including the ShackBurger, Chicken Shack, crinkle cut fries, beer, wine and frozen custard.

Shake Shack is partnering with two Toronto-based private equity firms for its Canadian expansion. Osmington Inc., a private commercial real estate and investment company owned and controlled by David Thomson, and Harlo Entertainment, a division of Harlo Group that operates and invests in hospitality properties including several restaurants in Toronto, will be Shake Shack’s partners in Canada.

“Together with Osmington Inc. and Harlo Entertainment, we plan to open 35 Shacks in Canada by 2035 starting with the flagship location in Toronto in 2024,” Kark said.

“We can’t wait to be a part of the city’s bustling energy and innovative food scene.”

Shake Shack opened a one-day pop-up restaurant in Toronto in 2017 at the now-closed Momofuku restaurant.

Shake Shack is partnering with two Toronto-based private equity firms for its Canadian expansion. Osmington Inc., a private commercial real estate and investment company owned and controlled by David Thomson, and Harlo Entertainment, a division of Harlo Group that operates and invests in hospitality properties including several restaurants in Toronto, will be Shake Shack’s partners in Canada.

“Together with Osmington Inc. and Harlo Entertainment, we plan to open 35 Shacks in Canada by 2035 starting with the flagship location in Toronto in 2024,” Kark said.

This has me wondering if they will put down roots in Union Station.

Osmington is the overseer of the retail spaces if I am not mistaken.

Back