News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

This suggests Tory isn't a shoo in for re-election. The weaknesses in infrastructure are on the nightly news. The stuff about Swansea Mews, park facilities and even outdoor pools is nothing new. Nearly 30 years ago when I returned to Toronto Summerville pool needed massive repairs. TCHC has hundreds of millions in repairs outstanding, that's why I never applied. The fancy new builds get the photo ops but the old stuff is still occupied and deteriorating every single day. The St Lawrence rec centre had plumbing problems the staff said dated from construction! If there is someone competent who chooses their battles well Tory may be in for a rough ride.

No, I'm quite confident Tory gets re-elected. Unfortunately, I feel like like this chatter about crumbling infrastructure is very much in a bubble of online 30 and 40-somethings who wouldn't vote for Tory anyway.

Tory's strongest support in 2018 came from older homeowners in Scarborough, North York and Etobicoke. These are voters who want simple things: less congestion, their garbage picked up, a street sweeper once a year, and low taxes. These are voters who don't care about things like public park infrastructure (nicely designed park garbage bins, working water fountains, etc.). And even if they do care, it doesn't supersede the love of their car and low taxes.

…who's overstayed his own promise of maximum 2 terms. And I really hope his opponents hold him accountable for both his promise *and* the infrastructures issues that have gone ignored for the past 8 years.

His care for the city is often misdirected or just plain weak. We should be doing a lot more post pandemic to both make toronto more liveable, as well as making it both enticing and affordable for people wanting to live here (especially to those who may have fled the city because of Covid and are now suffering the buyer's remorse of suburban sprawl). We need to do concrete things to push down housing prices. Hell, we still can't be bothered to properly address the yellowbelt and the missing middle. And unfortunately, that's not likely to happen under Tory.
Yes, BUT, who are these 'opponents" and will they beat him?

Accordingly, we have a list of Councillors who should be considered for 'flushing'.......:

Ainslie, Colle, Crawford, Filion, Grimes, Lai, Minnan-Wong, Pasternak and Thompson.

I live in Ward 20 and Crawford is actually well liked here. I don't see him losing this year.

When we had that massive snowstorm in January, he was very hands on with the cleanup from an administrative perspective. He was actively asking residents to contact both him and his office to clear the roads and sidewalks (after speaking with 311). He went to bat for the local residents to make things safer for them.

He may seem ineffective at council but he does do alot for his ward. He is always doing community outreach and is active within the community compared to his predecessor.

For years we had Michelle Berardinetti who was as useful as a third nipple. She spent more time on "business travel" and going to conferences around the world on behalf of the city than she did actually looking after her ward. The difference is night and day between her and Crawford.

I, like alot of my neighbours like Gary Crawford and he is not going anywhere unless he goes all Rob Ford and smokes crack.

Similarly, Pasternak is well regarded here as well. He's always on top of any "pro-israel" cause (If there is any pro-palestinian activity it's clamped down on quick) , which plays very well with the large jewish population here, and plays to the NIMBY's in the area. I can't see him being replaced unless he steps down.

The issue of infrastructure isn't just about online 30-40's, it is about what the city is doing with money and resources. The pool was damaged in the winter, it's now June and they are saying the whole season is a loss for the larger of the 3 pools. The same with talk about bathrooms and water fountains, the reports go to council meeting but the problems were already known, so why not deal with the problems instead of just reporting the problems to council? That is the question. A functioning institution would just deal with it. I don't see any opponent on the horizon. Like I said if someone competent turns up and chooses their battles wisely Tory might have a good run on his hands.
No, I'm quite confident Tory gets re-elected. Unfortunately, I feel like like this chatter about crumbling infrastructure is very much in a bubble of online 30 and 40-somethings who wouldn't vote for Tory anyway.

I live in Ward 20 and Crawford is actually well liked here. I don't see him losing this year.

I didn't say he would lose, I said he should lose. Not the same.

When we had that massive snowstorm in January, he was very hands on with the cleanup from an administrative perspective. He was actively asking residents to contact both him and his office to clear the roads and sidewalks (after speaking with 311). He went to bat for the local residents to make things safer for them.

That's nice, and doesn't surprise me either, I've met Gary on many occasions and I find him quite personable. That's not the issue.

He may seem is ineffective at council but he does do alot for his ward.

There, fixed that for you. Actually to be fair, ineffective is the wrong word, he's entirely effective at under-funding a variety of investments the City needs to make on both the capital and operating side of its budget.

He is always doing community outreach and is active within the community compared to his predecessor.

Comparing to Cllr. Berdinetti whose under-achievement is legendary is to damn with feint praise.

I, like alot of my neighbours like Gary Crawford and he is not going anywhere unless he goes all Rob Ford and smokes crack.

Regrettably, you may well get your way; but if voters consider what a Councillor may be able to achieve for a ward that could surely use the investment.........then perhaps they will vote
for Kevin Rupasinghe instead.

Gary is a nice, hard-working guy, whose ward needs safe cycling facilities, an additional library, expanded waterfront parks, expansion of Madelaine park and Oakcrest Park, expanded recreation Centre Hours, paving the @#$# trail in Warden Woods, better transit, and renewal of the TCHC housing at Teesdale and Cataraqui Crescent; among other things.

He's had several years to make a dent on these, and best I can tell has little or nothing to show for it.

On top of which, as City Budget Chief, he's underfunded transit, libraries, parks, recreation and affordable housing, again, among other things.

You might think I don't like him, LOL, but personally I find him to be decent, forthright, there's mutual respect, and every single year without fail, I get him to change at least one thing in the budget, because
I'm able to reason w/him.

My problem is, its not one thing that needs to change, its a couple of dozen. Time for fresh blood.

Reactions: DSC
Thouigh rankings are never perfect, the EIU (Economist Intelligence Unit) City rankings for 2022 are just out.

1655933044534.png

Reactions: rbt
Thouigh rankings are never perfect, the EIU (Economist Intelligence Unit) City rankings for 2022 are just out.

View attachment 409269

Its nice to be ranked up top and all; but I always think such things display the biases of what is measured for...

Education is somewhat understandable given that Ontario public schools rank well on PISA tests and the U of T is a top-tier University and we have high levels of post-secondary attainment.

Healthcare is amusing..........given all the struggles here, of course many other systems struggle too; but one thing in Healthcare is that Toronto has more top-ranked hospitals according to US News and World Report
than does NYC. (or any other U.S. city)

But we need to acknowledge that that ranking is again about what factors you look at, and how you weight them.

I find it interesting how some observers (looking at you JJ McCollough) that say Canada is basically culturally identical to the US. And yet, in lists like this it seems like Canada has more in common where it counts with places like Australia, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, Japan.

I find it interesting how some observers (looking at you JJ McCollough) that say Canada is basically culturally identical to the US. And yet, in lists like this it seems like Canada has more in common where it counts with places like Australia, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, Japan.
Grouping Culture & Environment is odd. I look at that list and wonder why Osaka was dinged heavily. Culture or environment? Do they not have "culture", or is it no public transit, or is it polluted? Or a little of all of those?
I assume "culture" is simply counting up venues for various kinds of performances and the number of museums, which is a poor calculation for "culture", though it's probably the only fully objective way to add it up.

There is nothing kind to be said about JJ.

He either knows he's wrong about almost everything he says/publishes, but puts it out there anyway.....

Or he honestly has no semblance of awareness of the real world whatsoever.

Oops. Some fireworks tonight postponed or cancelled due to vendor issues.

“The City was able to secure the services of a new vendor to allow the Ashbridges Bay fireworks display to continue this evening.

The vendor was also able to commit to a fireworks display for Stan Wadlow Park, but it will instead be tomorrow, July 2.

Fireworks at Miliken Park in Scarborough, located near Steeles Avenue and Middlefield Road, have now been cancelled.

Oops. Some fireworks tonight postponed or cancelled due to vendor issues.

I'm waiting to hear the excuse on this one, and why the vendor shouldn't be banned from bidding on City contracts for a decade.

Gave the City notice that they wouldn't be meeting their obligations......yesterday!!!

I would guess it was staffing. Need certain certifications, maybe one or more of their staff got covid.
Enough to wipe out crews for three different locations with performances at the same time? My guess is they were in denial about other circumstances like supply issues, and instead of being transparent about the whole thing with the city, scrambled in the background trying to "fix" things until finally giving up at the last minute.

Back