Toronto Forêt | 139.26m | 41s | Canderel | BDP Quadrangle

Based on the project website, the heights are different compared to the Site Plan documents in the AIC.

1651679318553.png

Clearly, all you realtors care more about building irresponsible developments than the neighbourhoods themselves. This former 'gas station' site leaked major amounts of gasoline not only on the site in the 1990's but across the street. City of Toronto and Suncor did not hash out a plan to remediate until 2001. The 1467 site is still being monitored and remediated. Foret (what a joke) only got the sales office because they do not have their RSC and until that comes through, there will be no development. There are many real estate agents in the area who would happy to see the 30 plus triple whammy buildings never go up. I hear Loblaws does not want it because they will lose business over the time it takes to build it and the amount of pollution and debris from the development will cause terrible problems in an already traffic congested area. The contaminated soil is just sitting there as they build a sales office - no regard for the community at all! This is what the community (those not involved with the project) https://clratoronto.com/update-on-1467-bathurst-st-land-at-st-clair-bathurst/ sees. The parkland offered is the size of Wells Hill Park across the street. So I gather that with the wind tunnel effects and shadow cast, they will kill a park to make one. This is already a treacherous corner. Elderly people are terrified of walking towards Bathurst and St. Clair. It will be worse if it ever gets off the ground. I know you don't have hearts but where are your brains?

Clearly, all you realtors care more about building irresponsible developments than the neighbourhoods themselves. This former 'gas station' site leaked major amounts of gasoline not only on the site in the 1990's but across the street. City of Toronto and Suncor did not hash out a plan to remediate until 2001. The 1467 site is still being monitored and remediated. Foret (what a joke) only got the sales office because they do not have their RSC and until that comes through, there will be no development. There are many real estate agents in the area who would happy to see the 30 plus triple whammy buildings never go up. I hear Loblaws does not want it because they will lose business over the time it takes to build it and the amount of pollution and debris from the development will cause terrible problems in an already traffic congested area. The contaminated soil is just sitting there as they build a sales office - no regard for the community at all! This is what the community (those not involved with the project) https://clratoronto.com/update-on-1467-bathurst-st-land-at-st-clair-bathurst/ sees. The parkland offered is the size of Wells Hill Park across the street. So I gather that with the wind tunnel effects and shadow cast, they will kill a park to make one. This is already a treacherous corner. Elderly people are terrified of walking towards Bathurst and St. Clair. It will be worse if it ever gets off the ground. I know you don't have hearts but where are your brains?
There won't be any shadows on the park as the buildings lie to the north of it, and this site is also directly above a subway stop. As a local of this area too, the scale is great. Also why would Loblaws be opposed to new customers? None of your criticisms are valid, and there are valid criticisms to be bad of new development, but you've brought forward nothing of substance or truth.

There won't be any shadows on the park as the buildings lie to the north of it, and this site is also directly above a subway stop. As a local of this area too, the scale is great. Also why would Loblaws be opposed to new customers? None of your criticisms are valid, and there are valid criticisms to be bad of new development, but you've brought forward nothing of substance or truth.
Are you really in this area??? The 1467 Bathurst Street site sits on the northeast corner of St.Clair and Bathurst. The developers will also build on 490 St.Clair Avenue West adjacent to the site (now St. Mikes parking lot next to Joes and Loblaws)which has never been tested for the gasoline leak and which I find really scary as gasoline leaks travel east.
There was a plan to build on top of Loblaws which is on top of the subway station and far east of La Foret but I don't think it is still on the table. The Foret site DOES NOT sit directly above a subway stop. There will be shadows over the supposed park they build and the school behind it. The wind tunnel effect was something you did not mention. If you live in this area, then you are very aware of it at that corner. Of course, you don't even bother to mention the contractors working on the site digging up that contaminated soil and being exposed to it. Who is caring about their welfare?
On Loblaws-- it will be opposed to the traffic congestion which as we know can kill a business. Just ask the retail stores on Eglinton who have been roped off for the subway extension.
Furthermore, how can you say the scale is great at 30 plus storeys in what essentially is a low and mid-rise neighbourhood to the west and south of it? You do not have any thing of value to say here and I am wondering how you can actually say you are speaking the truth when you cannot get your facts straight.

Don't dig up something because it could be risky? I mean, with that mindset, why do anything in life?

The reason the site is so dense is because of the relative low density around it. If our zoning allowed multiplex and midrise, perhaps we wouldn't need to many floors crammed on a small site like this.

Don't dig up something because it could be risky? I mean, with that mindset, why do anything in life?

The reason the site is so dense is because of the relative low density around it. If our zoning allowed multiplex and midrise, perhaps we wouldn't need to many floors crammed on a small site like this.
The risk is in digging this up now when the remediation has not been completed. Remember this is one of the most polluted gas station sites in Toronto as a gas station was on that land for over 60 years . In cases like this, there have been instances where digging deep without satisfactory remediation has caused releases of toxins that have caused people in the area to experience nausea, dizziness and headaches.

Innovations such as Bioremediation use microorganisms to break down the contaminants. In fact, for 20 years in US and in Western Canada, oil and gas companies have planted grasses and trees in boxes or in the soil on these sites and had excellent results stemming damage from leaking gas stations. It is cheaper and safer than drilling and cleans the contamination of the soil. I don't know if it is a slower process but certainly even if it takes ten more years to cleanse this soil deep down, it is worthwhile for the community., the City and the oil and gas companies. So would I mind seeing that on that corner until it is cleaned up? No.

Good point about multiplex and mid-rise developments. Our zoning does allow for this - in fact the first project way back was for a townhouse development but the gasoline station leak got in the way. The first attempt at towers was for apartments where City Planning allowed an amendment to increase the 3 towers to 30 plus. City Planning also allowed the putting forth of amendments for three towers on the site not even thinking of the impact on the school behind it, let alone the rest of the residents.
Please don't give me ''close to Transit Hub bs'' We are already surrounded by tall towers to the north and directly west. There are so many developments already going on here. I would have to ask how much is too much for an area like this to handle? Infrastructure is already overburdened and traffic congestion at that corner is pretty horrendous during rush hour. We already have over densification and this development is so wrong as it will not enhance the neighbourhood in any way.
I am thinking the condos will be sold to offshore investors who will flip them if they can in a good market or use them for Airbnb clients like some other condos close by. Either way, we who cherish the area for its green spaces and small neighbourhood feel (that is so NOT downtown or even midtown), will see a way of life gone forever. Sorry mister, it ain't progress.

The risk is in digging this up now when the remediation has not been completed. Remember this is one of the most polluted gas station sites in Toronto as a gas station was on that land for over 60 years . In cases like this, there have been instances where digging deep without satisfactory remediation has caused releases of toxins that have caused people in the area to experience nausea, dizziness and headaches.

Innovations such as Bioremediation use microorganisms to break down the contaminants. In fact, for 20 years in US and in Western Canada, oil and gas companies have planted grasses and trees in boxes or in the soil on these sites and had excellent results stemming damage from leaking gas stations. It is cheaper and safer than drilling and cleans the contamination of the soil. I don't know if it is a slower process but certainly even if it takes ten more years to cleanse this soil deep down, it is worthwhile for the community., the City and the oil and gas companies. So would I mind seeing that on that corner until it is cleaned up? No.

Good point about multiplex and mid-rise developments. Our zoning does allow for this - in fact the first project way back was for a townhouse development but the gasoline station leak got in the way. The first attempt at towers was for apartments where City Planning allowed an amendment to increase the 3 towers to 30 plus. City Planning also allowed the putting forth of amendments for three towers on the site not even thinking of the impact on the school behind it, let alone the rest of the residents.
Please don't give me ''close to Transit Hub bs'' We are already surrounded by tall towers to the north and directly west. There are so many developments already going on here. I would have to ask how much is too much for an area like this to handle? Infrastructure is already overburdened and traffic congestion at that corner is pretty horrendous during rush hour. We already have over densification and this development is so wrong as it will not enhance the neighbourhood in any way.
I am thinking the condos will be sold to offshore investors who will flip them if they can in a good market or use them for Airbnb clients like some other condos close by. Either way, we who cherish the area for its green spaces and small neighbourhood feel (that is so NOT downtown or even midtown), will see a way of life gone forever. Sorry mister, it ain't progress.
This is the definition of NIMBY

This is the definition of NIMBY

Instead of a myriad of excuses as to what is wrong with this project, just admit that you hate tall buildings (when they are near you) and had some fantasy about a free park built on the site.

Your real targets are low interest rates and high population growth (both federal gov't policies) which are stoking too much development. Unless those policies are changed (and interest rates are climbing finally), there's just not much we can do about development. Barring that, we must demand the City and developers include upgrades to community facilities, create new amenities, improve the public realm in the vicinity, help fund infrastructure upgrades, etc when new towers are built.

Quick note about ownership in new buildings: over 70% of units in new build condos are owned by Canadian investors renting to other Canadians. It's become a misconception in recent years that foreign investors, high vacancies or AirBnBs are driving the construction boom. Yes, there are a few notorious AirBnB buildings (Ice); and certainly some of the majority renter occupied buildings are in poor shape because of the tenancy style.

But the majority of units are owned by Canadians profiteering off their fellow citizens because of crappy incentives enabled by the government; and rental vacancies are at all-time lows.

Back