News   Apr 24, 2024
 961     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

Ignore threads

I can ignore users, but I can't find a way to ignore threads that annoy me. Is this supported by the forum software?
There is an indirect way though it may have unintended consequences. Recently I noticed that certain threads weren’t showing up for me. Turns out that a thread is hidden if it’s started by someone on your ignore list. So if you want to ignore a thread, you can ignore the person who started it. The downside is you won’t see the posts from that person in other threads (which may or may not be a good thing).

I can ignore users, but I can't find a way to ignore threads that annoy me. Is this supported by the forum software?
How can they annoy you if you don't read them? It seems simple to ignore them, i.e., don't open/read them. It make sense to be able to block forum members from view, because they can show up on any thread you are following, but it seems unnecessary for threads which you can simply ignore on your own. You do have the option to "unwatch" a thread if you are no longer interested in it.

How can they annoy you if you don't read them? It seems simple to ignore them, i.e., don't open/read them. It make sense to be able to block forum members from view, because they can show up on any thread you are following, but it seems unnecessary for threads which you can simply ignore on your own. You do have the option to "unwatch" a thread if you are no longer interested in it.
It's just noise. I know I'm never going to click into certain threads, but they keep getting bumped to the top of the list of threads with new posts. "Don't open/read them" is exactly what I do right now, but I'd rather not see them in the first place. 🤷‍♀️

Anyway, I guess the answer is "no, it's not possible". No problem, I just figured I'd ask. It was a thing that annoyed me and I was wondering whether there was a technical solution, which I now have an answer to, albeit indirectly.

I access this and other forums via 'New Posts'. There are dozens and dozens of threads that don't interest me, on this forum particularly those specifically covering individual condo and apartment projects. Scroll on by. I would rather that than the forum or some algorithm making the decision for me.

I access this and other forums via 'New Posts'. There are dozens and dozens of threads that don't interest me, on this forum particularly those specifically covering individual condo and apartment projects. Scroll on by. I would rather that than the forum or some algorithm making the decision for me.
I am the same and my 'complaint' is that the THREAD TITLES are (sometimes) poorly chosen or offer less information that desirable. If the Mods are sitting around on their hands (!) I think that some 'authority control' might be in order and, because there are many very old and inactive threads, it MIGHT be good if a thread was automatically frozen for new postings or comments if it has not been posted to (by non-spam) for over a year or so. (If anyone wanted a thread re-opened because of new developments then they could request it be unfrozen... Just a thought.

Just to reiterate, I don't want the forum or some algorithm making any decisions for me and I have no idea how anyone reading in good faith could have misunderstood my question to mean I wanted something like that. I was wondering whether there were tools available for me to curate the content I see more effectively so I can focus on the things I care about and ignore the stuff that is irrelevant/annoying to me. Hard to believe that such a simple question could be so confusing or controversial. And "scroll on by" is exactly what I do right now, so thanks once again for that unsolicited advice. No need to repeat yourself in the future.

Last edited:
I am the same and my 'complaint' is that the THREAD TITLES are (sometimes) poorly chosen or offer less information that desirable. If the Mods are sitting around on their hands (!) I think that some 'authority control' might be in order and, because there are many very old and inactive threads, it MIGHT be good if a thread was automatically frozen for new postings or comments if it has not been posted to (by non-spam) for over a year or so. (If anyone wanted a thread re-opened because of new developments then they could request it be unfrozen... Just a thought.
I'm not sure I'd be expecting moderators to be ghost headline editors or somehow tracking threads that have gone stale. They are volunteers after all.

The issue of stale/zombie threads has come up on another forum I frequent. The desire was that threads that have lain inactive for 'x' months should be locked but, if I recall correctly, the technology of platform hindered that. The best they could do is attach a caution flag to any thread being activated they is 'x' months inactive.

Back