News   Apr 17, 2024
 984     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 321     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Stuck in Toronto for the brutal polar vortex...couldn't be happier. Here's why....

philmar

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's been mind numbing cold here in Toronto for the last couple weeks, as it has elsewhere. Truth be told I absolutely LOVE when it gets incredibly cold because of the image opportunities it creates. Though I live in a metropolis of 6+ million people, I live walking distance from the shores of one of the Great Lakes which is wondrously transformed when it gets ravaged by Ole Man Winter. Here is a sample of a few of the images I've taken while wearing 2 pairs of sock, long johns and two winter coats.
And here is a link to a gallery of more: https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort...19polarvortex&user_id=12624630@N02&view_all=1

Stay warm my friends. Pray for more chilling temperatures and embrace winter!

Icy lily paddies forming in Lake Ontario under the polar vortex - Kew Beach, Toronto by Phil Marion, on Flickr
Centre Island pier and the polar vortex by Phil Marion, on Flickr
Frozen in time - Lake Ontario [1 minute long exposure] by Phil Marion, on Flickr
Natural ice sculptures - Ashbriges Bay by Phil Marion, on Flickr
Patterns of Kew Beach by Phil Marion, on Flickr
Dusk at Balmy Beach - Toronto by Phil Marion, on Flickr
Fun at the beach...in February - Woodbine, Kew and Balmy Beaches in Toronto by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Beautiful photos. Winter really does provide a compelling canvas. If that weather was "mind numbingly cold", you need to travel more or buy better clothes. Admittedly, it seems anything below freezing brings Toronto to its knees.

Edit: I had signed out and felt compelled to come back in and apologize for raining on your clearly talented effort to 'light a candle rather than curse the darkness'. It's kind of my knee jerk reaction to the enduring myth that we are 'a northern people', which is largely laughable for the vast majority of the population of Ontario.

Last edited:

Back