News   Apr 19, 2024
 162     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 482     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 828     3 

Fish & Chips!

Aquaculture isn’t for everyone. Fish is the last hunted game we eat.

There's always insects...

See link.

Edible-insects-infographic-bug-food-hunt-forage-caterpillar-2.jpg

Edible-insects-infographic-bug-food-hunt-forage-caterpillar-3.jpg

Edible-insects-infographic-bug-food-hunt-forage-caterpillar-4.jpg

Edible-insects-infographic-bug-food-hunt-forage-caterpillar-5.jpg

Golden Crisp is CLOSED for the time being due to the sudden loss of Harry, the Owner.

261191588_6280860696651_7242498075224669848_n.jpg

Very curious about this, but fish n' chips isn't ideal takeout food. I'll wait until dine-in is possible again.
Trick is to get home quick. Then it’s great takeout. It’s the original British takeaway, wrapped in newspaper eaten on the trot with a wooden fork.

Last edited:
Trick is to get home quick. Then it’s great takeout. It’s the original British takeaway, wrapped in newspaper eaten on the trot with a wooden fork.

When I spent a week in Scotland, it was 95% of what I ate there. I literally ate fish & chips every single day, more than once. It was awesome.

Anyone want to get into the fish and chip business with an established well thought of brand/outlet .....6 locations!

I didn't know you could use realtor.ca to sell a business. I guess they are selling the leases, technically.
I liked the note that "Every Single One Of These Stores Have A Wall (Or Walls) Dedicated To The Best Of Awards And Accolades That These Businesses Win Year After Year."
That reminds me of basically every single old-school fish and chip shop I've ever been to. They all have the wall of "best ofs" from community newspapers you've never heard of that they've won for 30 years in a row.
Somehow all of these places are #1 according to some survey.

I didn't know you could use realtor.ca to sell a business. I guess they are selling the leases, technically.
I liked the note that "Every Single One Of These Stores Have A Wall (Or Walls) Dedicated To The Best Of Awards And Accolades That These Businesses Win Year After Year."
That reminds me of basically every single old-school fish and chip shop I've ever been to. They all have the wall of "best ofs" from community newspapers you've never heard of that they've won for 30 years in a row.
Somehow all of these places are #1 according to some survey.

Those are usually the best places.

I would rather go to a place with a bunch of hokey awards than a commercialized place like Halibut House. Smaller places try harder and have more flexibility to make the food better. Commercial restaurants have a process from which they cannoy deviate no matter how bad the food is.

Those awards may he obscure but the food is usually quite good.

Something I came across to share here from The Guardian: A Funeral for Fish and Chips
It's a longform story that covers a mass closure of Fish and Chip shops across the UK.

Some of the reasons are obvious: people eating out less because money is tight, and rising prices are cutting margins for the business.
However there were others factors I found more interesting:
  • Many shops have difficulty finding staff as peeling potatoes is the last thing anyone wants to do, but also operating the fryer is a demanding and also a dangerous job, especially in a very busy shop with constant orders for a few hours straight. One moment of lapsed attention can have catastrophic consequences, yet these jobs rarely pay more than working as a waiter in a nice air conditioned chain restaurant, so there is high pressure to increase wages to get employees, but they don't have that extra money.
  • Fires are a major risk and much more common than in other restaurants, and as a result insurance premiums are very high, and the insurance companies are notorious for finding reasons not to pay out the policy after a fire.
  • The fryer is very energy intensive, so they are highly susceptible to changes in natural gas costs. It doesn't go into detail but notes fryers are generally very energy inefficient equipment, and they also break down frequently which means you may have to shut your doors waiting for repairs.
To summarise, of the whole restaurant industry, this is among the most difficult business to run, and as such it's the first to shut down when economic conditions are poor.

Last edited:

Back