News   Apr 19, 2024
 119     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 456     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 656     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Couldn't Motive Power just come up with a MP60 electric powered locomotive?

Nearly all locomotives are electric with a diesel generator. In theory you can simply pull the generator out of any of them and instead run a line to a pantograph instead.

There are a few non-trivial catches like the motors taking a 480-volt 3-phase feed while overhead cat is single-phase 25kV, a desire for regenerative braking, a desire to be able to creep to the next station during a power failure, etc.

Both Alstom (Bombardier ALP-45DP) and Siemens (ACS-64) have electric locomotives operating in North America; I don't expect either used a 3rd party locomotive in their bid.

Last edited:
Nearly all locomotives are electric with a diesel generator. In theory you can simply pull the generator out of any of them and instead run a line to a pantograph instead.

There are a few non-trivial catches like the motors taking a 480-volt 3-phase feed while overhead cat be single-phase 25kV, a desire for regenerative braking, a desire to be able to creep to the next station during a power failure, etc.

Both Alstom (Bombardier ALP-45DP) and Siemens (ACS-64) have electric locomotives operating in North America; I don't expect either used a 3rd party locomotive in their bid.

One has to hope the design will draw on proven components that the builder is already using in existing models. Who knows whether a bidder would grab an off the shelf model and change one or two things, versus figuring out a new platform. Just because it doesn’t look like a Charger or an ACS-64 doesn’t mean it’s not the same under the hood. And alternatively it may look the same while being different internally.

Most importantly - in terms of the overall bid….. this is not the detail that will define the bid.. One bidder may have a maintenance plan that does a heavy rebuild/inspection every 3 years where the other will only plan for every 4 years. Those costs will matter, as will differences in energy consumption. There may be assumed differences between bidders in down time and reliability. Electrical switchgear and OCS isn’t as sexy as locomotives, but its cost and maintenance requirements may carry more weight than the fleet. And define what one sees along the line.

- Paul

As of today, the former 10 mph (16 km/h) slow order through downtown Guelph has been increased to 45 mph (72 km/h), which will now be the permanent speed limit.
b.jpg

VIA 84 covered Kitchener-Guelph in 17 minutes today (dep. 12:19, arr 12:36), despite a 15 mph slow order at Lancaster st in Kitchener, and a 15 mph (24 km/h) slowdown at Paisley Rd in Guelph (see below). I suspect that the travel time could be under 15 minutes if those speed restrictions were resolved.
a2.jpg

Fun facts:
The speed limit through downtown Guelph (45 mph) is now 50% higher than the speed limit along the dead-straight track between St Marys and Stratford (30 mph)
The average speed between Kitchener and Guelph (78 km/h) is now 62% higher than the maximum speed between St Marys and Stratford (48 km/h)
The new speed limit is 350% higher than the speed limit prior to the upgrade project (10 mph).

Last edited:
As of today, the speed limit through downtown Guelph has been increased to 45 mph (72 km/h), which is the permanent
View attachment 367404

VIA 84 covered Kitchener-Guelph in 17 minutes today (dep. 12:19, arr 12:36), despite a 15 mph slow order at Lancaster st in Kitchener, and a 15 mph (24 km/h) slowdown (slow order??) at Paisley Rd in Guelph (see below). I suspect that the travel time could be under 15 minutes if those speed restrictions were resolved.
View attachment 367403

Fun facts:
The speed limit through downtown Guelph (45 mph) is now 50% higher than the speed limit along the dead-straight track between St Marys and Stratford (30 mph)
The average speed between Kitchener and Guelph (78 km/h) is now 62% higher than the maximum speed between St Marys and Stratford (48 km/h)
The new speed limit is 350% higher than the speed limit prior to the upgrade project (10 mph).
Nice breakdown! Is a video forthcoming?🤞

The rail distance between London and Toronto is approx. 190 km. (If anyone knows the precise distance, feel free to elucidate). Taking roughly 4 hours time for the commute means an average speed of 47.5 km/h. Usain Bolt's fastest recorded speed was 44.99 km/hr.

As a London ON resident, living in what I believe is the 21st century, I'm just throwing that factoid out there to illustrate my annoyance with Metrolinx for even considering, let alone actualizing, what is truly, at this point, a comical endeavour.

The rail distance between London and Toronto is approx. 190 km. (If anyone knows the precise distance, feel free to elucidate). Taking roughly 4 hours time for the commute means an average speed of 47.5 km/h. Usain Bolt's fastest recorded speed was 44.99 km/hr.

As a London ON resident, living in what I believe is the 21st century, I'm just throwing that factoid out there to illustrate my annoyance with Metrolinx for even considering, let alone actualizing, what is truly, at this point, a comical endeavour.

I completely see your point.........

But in Mx's defence....... Usain's average speed from London - KW would be slower than his sprinting speed; and slower still if he had to carry a passenger! 🤣

Sometimes you gotta get your foot in the door for actual change to happen.

I truly believe that Metrolinx is trying to create complaints about the London corridor so that they can get some funding or action from the province/feds to buy and upgrade the GEXR from CN.

I completely see your point.........

But in Mx's defence....... Usain's average speed from London - KW would be slower than his sprinting speed; and slower still if he had to carry a passenger! 🤣
Clearly, not suggesting Usain Bolt as a viable alternate for the route. But perhaps a small army of heavily juiced Usain Bolt clones could do the trick until MX figures out how to make their trains run quicker.

I truly believe that Metrolinx is trying to create complaints about the London corridor so that they can get some funding or action from the province/feds to buy and upgrade the GEXR from CN.

I’m somewhat with you, in the sense that there had to be some political urgency to the Province to launch this turkey. I don’t see Ml being the conspirator however…. you can be sure the Province was on board and perhaps the instigator.

My theory is that the Province wants the line upgraded and wants Ottawa to pay a good share (quite reasonable since VIA shares the benefit). And wants to get the political credit, in time for the next provincial election.

Putting the train on line shows they are not the party that’s foot-dragging. And somehow leverages or secures Ford’s popularity in some ridings where Liberal candidates may seem to be getting a toehold.

- Paul

I’m somewhat with you, in the sense that there had to be some political urgency to the Province to launch this turkey. I don’t see Ml being the conspirator however…. you can be sure the Province was on board and perhaps the instigator.

My theory is that the Province wants the line upgraded and wants Ottawa to pay a good share (quite reasonable since VIA shares the benefit). And wants to get the political credit, in time for the next provincial election.

Putting the train on line shows they are not the party that’s foot-dragging. And somehow leverages or secures Ford’s popularity in some ridings where Liberal candidates may seem to be getting a toehold.

I wouldn't say that the Province was perhaps the instigator. I'd say they were 100% definitely the instigator. The London service (and Niagara Weekday service) are not at all like what we've seen from actual GO service planners and schedulers in the past.

Usually the service is planned years in advance, giving time for the appropriate infrastructure adjustments (e.g. sidings, tail tracks, platforms, layover spots etc) and the schedules are impressively well-tailored to demand. In contrast the London service came out of left field and clearly had zero preparation given how there is no Presto support and GO is now scrambling to install mini-platforms at stations after the service has already begun. The Niagara service also still lacks the necessary track connections on the east side of West Harbour station and on the east side of Lewis Yard, more than two years after it was introduced.

Last edited:

Back