Toronto Nobu Residences Toronto | 156.66m | 45s | Madison Group | Teeple Architects

I think the curtain wall in the back looks cheap compared to the front of this podium! And that the residents from across the alley are forced to look at it from a short distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks very much like the initial rendering at this level.
Err...not really. And since we're going by that, I was looking at the renders for the lower parts more closely at said level certainly looked more cleaner and organized, even textured. Nor should this be used as any excuse for what we're getting even if the renders where a spitting image. Cheap is cheap.

I'm not against the density here and views aren't something that can be depended on forever in a growing downtown, but it's telling that the city — its institutions, politicians, and culture — moves heaven and earth and enshrines protection in law to stop slight overlooks of backyards or apartment buildings being built next to single family homes, but people who live in apartment/condo buildings get horrible dystopian spandrel walls built right in front of them blocking out their light and entire world and that's just how it goes.

Last edited:
yikes. The fact that the curtain wall looks messy does not bode well. Also, wasn't the colour scheme supposed to be black and bronze? Or did they pull out the old bait and switch sunset render trick on us?

This turning out blue/grey with black removes another element of uniqueness that was intended to set this project apart from its neighbours.

On another note, there was an additional render of the podium rooftop in the BlogTO article discussing the Nobu opening: https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2021/11/nobu-restaurant-toronto/

I have no doubt that the restaurant will look impressive but i fear we are witnessing the watering down of the design in real time.

Last edited:
yikes. The fact that the curtain wall looks messy does not bode well. Also, wasn't the colour scheme supposed to be black and bronze? Or did they pull out the old bait and switch sunset render trick on us?

This turning out blue/grey with black removes another element of uniqueness that was intended to set this project apart from its neighbours.

On another note, there was an additional render of the podium rooftop in the BlogTO article discussing the Nobu opening: https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2021/11/nobu-restaurant-toronto/

I have no doubt that the restaurant will look impressive but i fear we are witnessing the watering down of the design in real time.
As already pointed out the podium cladding appears different from the tower cladding in the renders.

778172FA-8AC7-442A-A03A-2FE12500DCC2.jpeg

I'll wait for tower cladding before a verdict. It's clearly different than the podium cladding in the renders though the podium cladding is not promising

I too want to wait on the tower as I've seen the black metal envelope before (the supplier is high end), and they've actually been ready for the towers in advanced by some months now, but the glass swap here is worrying especially as it seems the supplier isn't the one that was talked of in city documents.

A brief explainer for anybody wondering what's happening: The podium cladding is basically just a cheapened version of what was promised in both City documents and other material documents that dictate the exact type and supplier of glass we should have seen here. (The renders didn't even do justice to how great the channeled glass would've looked)

Products and Suppliers as follows: What was supposed to be Pilkington Profilit™ Macro Opal (Profilit is their channeled glass product line) on the podium has been watered down to just back painted spandrel. Worse still, the spots in which the channeling on the Pilkington Profilit was supposed to appear are just a poorly tinted glass. The clear effect is nothing alike what was promised and it's insulting how much of a downgrade that was to make on a luxury premium build. I was really excited to see those materials fully realized too, as the diffusion the glass was supposed to produce would've been unlike anything else in the city.

If I was to make a comparison as to how bad of a downgrade this is, it's like using window wall instead of curtain wall as your mounting system, meaning the two are so vastly different they should NOT be interchanging the two. Just like here, where clear tinted glass is trying to stand in for a channelled and diffused panel.

I'm curious if anyone around the site can actually spot any Pilkington Logos on any of the window product being used, like I genuinely am curious what was swapped in it's place. As the towers were also supposed to use Pilkington Eclipse™ Sunset Gold (nearly the same product used on the Perimeter Institute Building) on the towers, but if that was also cheapened I'm afraid they also won't look as sharp.

Also wondering if the window wall supplier is Toro Windows, who will also be supplying the black window wall system for the towers. Because while I'd like to give benefit of the doubt that maybe the supply shortage is causing them to grab lesser materials, the fact the tower panels are ready and have been for months makes me think it's just cheapening.

Last edited:

Back