Toronto Massey Hall Revitalization at the Allied Music Centre | 48.46m | 7s | KPMB

Today

5E7FBA30-0802-435D-8532-2B1C21B0FEAC.jpeg

It seems kind of lazy not to restore something like that. It's one thing not to restore features removed a long time ago. It's another thing to fix up a few things and leave others in bad shape. But it's not always possible to do everything all at once.

Hopefully someone is aware of these issues and will make provisions to address them as revenue starts flowing in again. It wouldn't be the first time a heritage building was restored in stages. Churches stagger the restoration of heritage features and the installation of new features like stained glass windows and murals all the time.
"Lazy"?? I think it was primarily a financial decision and one that can be revisited if (or when) $$$ are received. The frieze was (apparently) removed (or deteriorated) many years ago; it might be 'better' if it were restored but it is hardly a deal breaker and replacing it could be done without disrupting the programing of the Hall itself.

"Lazy"?? I think it was primarily a financial decision and one that can be revisited if (or when) $$$ are received. The frieze was (apparently) removed (or deteriorated) many years ago; it might be 'better' if it were restored but it is hardly a deal breaker and replacing it could be done without disrupting the programing of the Hall itself.

A proper restoration/renovation project addresses everything that needs to be done on the building, even if in phases. The frieze is a part of the building's architecture and should be restored at some point as finances allow.

A proper restoration/renovation project addresses everything that needs to be done on the building, even if in phases. The frieze is a part of the building's architecture and should be restored at some point as finances allow.

Maybe not - I agree with the general view that the frieze should be replaced - but I have a feeling that we don't have enough details of the original piece for an accurate replica.

AoD

Maybe not - I agree with the general view that the frieze should be replaced - but I have a feeling that we don't have enough details of the original piece for an accurate replica.

AoD

That's a good point. I think it may have disappeared a lot longer ago than I originally thought. It may take a long search to get enough information for a replica. With that said, a new frieze in a style sympathetic to the original architecture would be fine in my opinion.

AoD
It's funny, in every picture I can find the frieze seems blurry or obscured in some way that it's hard to make out. For such a prominent building it's hard to find a lot of old photos. Even in a scan of the old architectural drawings the frieze is depicted largely as scribbles.

20130622-Massey-Exterior-Plan.jpg

That's a good point. I think it may have disappeared a lot longer ago than I originally thought. It may take a long search to get enough information for a replica. With that said, a new frieze in a style sympathetic to the original architecture would be fine in my opinion.
From what I could find in the TPL archives it had disappeared by the 1970s, although that's not much of a surprise considering how bad things were for old buildings during that era.

It's funny, in every picture I can find the frieze seems blurry or obscured in some way that it's hard to make out. For such a prominent building it's hard to find a lot of old photos. Even in a scan of the old architectural drawings the frieze is depicted largely as scribbles.

View attachment 362092

From what I could find in the TPL archives it had disappeared by the 1970s, although that's not much of a surprise considering how bad things were for old buildings during that era.
Must be earlier. This pic in Toronto Archives is labelled 1961 and the frieze is already gone:

11488581-66D6-41DF-8877-259AB0540AE0.jpeg

View attachment 362092

But the three windows that are bricked up now are not blurry or obscured. They too have been left out of this restoration.

But the three windows that are bricked up now are not blurry or obscured. They too have been left out of this restoration.
That was a conscious decision because they are blocked inside with some of the 'amenities'. As discussed earlier, they could have created 'fake windows" but .... it is a HUGE improvement (though I await seeing the inside before really celebrating) - enjoy it!

About 2 hours ago they were still farting around to hook up the new sign but I noticed the new emergency fire exits on Victoria St side.
View attachment 360964
Those fire escapes would have looked a 1000 times better had they been in black (not only aesthetically, but as homage to the old escapes). Perhaps they will be painted.

Must be earlier. This pic in Toronto Archives is labelled 1961 and the frieze is already gone:

View attachment 362202
Ehhhh, let's just make a trip to London and move the Elgin Marbles once again, just not to Athens. (I know that theatre's one to the south… but whatevs.)

Back