News   Mar 28, 2024
 254     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 320     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 683     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

As someone who had to buy a new stove yesterday because my "old" one (at 10 years of age) has an "electronics" problem and 'spare parts are not generally available for stoves older than 10 years' (and if they are they cost $$$) this really hit home.

We've gone through 3 washers and 3 dryers in this matrimonial household of 35 years. I sat down and calculated that they are good for about 800 cycles... then, poof; and uneconomical repair.

I'm wondering where Gold's Appliances gets those minty examples. Perhaps they have technicians with some terrific restoration arts skills.

Of course, Betty Draper had one of those new wall-ovens:

betty-draper1.jpeg

Ah, women and ovens; a new picture thread idea.

51791464434815684_uuQOikW5_c.jpg

Then and Now for a cold Saturday October evening. It's not really good enough for a weekday post, hence you folks get to see my rejects on the weekends. :)

'Mayor Fred Conboy greeting General Knox outside Old City Hall. 194-'.

MayorFredConboygreetingGeneralKnoxoutsideOldCityHall.jpg

Now July 2012.

CSC_5318.jpg

Found this old booklet at a friends. Couldn't scan it, so I took some pictures of the pages. Enjoy.

DSC_0537.jpg

DSC_0538.jpg

DSC_0539.jpg

DSC_0540.jpg

Speaking of watches in Toronto in the 1950's:

Albert Dekker presenting a watch to Miss Toronto Ruth Carier, 1951:

f1257_s1057_it1717.jpg

Mayor Nathan Phillips presenting a watch to Glenn Gould, 1956:

f1257_s1057_it3069.jpg

Jack Kent Cooke presenting a watch to an unnamed Toronto Maple Leafs baseball player, 1950's:

f1257_s1057_it2618.jpg

Gold's moved out Saturday afternoon ...

It's the weekend and time again for some musings.

I was walking by Gold's Appliances at Queen West and Niagara streets. The old ranges ['stoves' some of us might call them] in the window caught my eye. Enjoy.

CSC_0573.jpg

Here's a closeup of the cool retro details of the stove on the right.

CSC_0577.jpg

You might want to buy one of those ranges and remodel your kitchen to look like an old one like these:

http://pinterest.com/secretdesign/mid-century-modern-kitchens/

Gold's Gone ... moved out Saturday Afternoon. The quickest "Then and Now" on record.

Speaking of watches in Toronto in the 1950's:

Mayor Nathan Phillips presenting a watch to Glenn Gould, 1956:

f1257_s1057_it3069.jpg

Jack Kent Cooke presenting a watch to an unnamed Toronto Maple Leafs baseball player, 1950's:

f1257_s1057_it2618.jpg

What a fascinating pair of pictures, thecharioteer.

--The council chambers in the Old City Hall.

--The Canada Malting silos could be used as a reference point even today to do a Now picture. (There is a housing development there now.)

That water tank (I think it is) in Billie Hallam's kitchen. Right out of Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.

Heya Uters. Drizzly weather got you down? Check out the AGO:

Afterwards, check out the food court in the Village by the Grange. Nice place for a sit. Lot's of Bohemian OCAD types hang out there. You can bask in the afterglow of their coolness.

If you can't go to the AGO today, or can wait until free admission on Wednesdays after 6:30pm; in the meantime check out these links on what's interesting there at the moment:

In the Photography Gallery on the main floor, the current exhibition. Very very worthwhile.

http://www.ago.net/ago-presents-phot...er-josef-sudek

In basement, as always, Mr. Thomson's model ship collection. Some of them were made by sailor-prisoners-of-war 300 hundred years ago.. This is a very cool interactive link.

http://www.ago.net/gunilda

Also in the basement, unheralded and off in the corner, the miniature firearms made by David Kucher of Montreal. Little gems and interesting to look at in their own right even if gun culture isn't your thing.

http://www.kucers.com/

If you go today you may find me mesmerized in front of Ruben's Massacre of the Innocents, which continues to hold an unsavoury but compelling hold over me. But hey, I didn't pay $117Mill for it. Mr. Thomson did.

Looking over thecharioteers 'watch presentation' pictures reminds me of how precious an object watches were back in the day. Imagine having a ceremony today to commemorate something with the gift of a watch - it would be positively quaint. Today we have our phones to tell time and mass produced 'fashion' and 'Ironman' type watches that you throw away because they can't be repaired. I'm reminded how much a treasured possession my Grandfather's Omega meant to him.

Then and Now for October 29, 2012.

Then. Unitarian Church. c1867. This was on Jarvis, W side N of Dundas, S of Gould. From 'Toronto In The Camera' by Octavius Thompson.

835unitarianchurchjarviswsidenofdundassofgouldc1867fromtorontointhecamerabyoctaviusthompson.jpg

May 2012.

836.jpg

Thanks to wwwebster for the pic. :)

The loss of that church is a shame, but in the spirit of the Mirvish development, the replacement is a lot bigger a building and has sophisticated modern architecture, so it's clearly satisfactory :rolleyes: .

And under the circumstance, let's consider that given the 1949 move, it might have been demolished long before the Sears building came up (maybe by Simpsons/Sears itself, for parking/loading facilities?)

Back