News   Mar 28, 2024
 26     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 263     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 636     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

What a wonderful image; wherever did you get this Goldie?

CanadaMarbleWorks-Torontoc1870s.jpg

I found the Marble Works image in a book at the Public Library:

Ontario 200 Years in Pictures
by R.Hall & G.Dobbs 1991
Dundurn Press

I'll post some others from the same book on the
Evocative Images of Lost Toronto thread.

This may be of interest.

News Release

October 24, 2012

Mobile and online users can now travel through 'Toronto in Time'

Available as of today, "Toronto in Time" is a free mobile app for iOS (Apple) and Android that highlights the history of Toronto through "then and now" photos, slideshows, trails and historical stories for more than 150 sites.

Through Toronto in Time, one can discover the story of the Toronto club that hosted the Rolling Stones, U2 and Marilyn Monroe; learn where soldiers of the War of 1812 lie buried; stand on the site of a 17th-century First Nations village; and much more.

Users can also meet a cast of characters that includes the inventors, artists, entrepreneurs, bank robbers, visionaries and dreamers who have enriched Toronto's history.

"Toronto in Time makes Toronto's history immediate and interactive," said Councillor Michael Thompson (Ward 37 Scarborough Centre), Chair of the City's Economic Development Committee. "It brings history alive and enables users to compare the place where they are standing with what it looked like decades ago. It is a great tool for students, visitors and Torontonians alike."

“History is at its most interesting when we understand its relevance to the present,” said Anthony Wilson-Smith, President of the Historica-Dominion Institute. “This will help anyone who uses it to see the direct link between the Toronto of yesterday and how it is still reflected today.”

Users of the app can access geolocation data to find the sites of stories closest to them marked on an easy-to-read map, filter stories by theme or neighbourhood, or follow curated walking trails. Each story includes a photo gallery or a unique then-and-now photo feature that shows the present site dissolving into its past.

Users without a mobile device can also discover all the features of Toronto in Time online at http://citiesintime.ca/toronto/. An online demonstration of how to use the mobile application can be viewed at https://vimeo.com/51236694.

This project is a partnership of the Historica-Dominion Institute, the City of Toronto's Museum Services, and Heritage Toronto.

Toronto in Time is the second app in the “Cities in Time” series. The series launched with Vancouver in Time in the fall of 2011.

Funding for this project has also been provided by the Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sports, and the Department of Canadian Heritage. "Toronto in Time" is a legacy project of Toronto's War of 1812 Bicentennial Commemoration.

I wandered around a bit; came across this picture of the demolished (in 1965) TD Bank on the SW corner of King and Bay. I've never laid eyes on a picture of the interior before.

http://citiesintime.ca/toronto/story/architectura/

Thank you DSC.

Old school used as Recreation Centre?
This could be the back of the building in the background

s0372_ss0052_it0994.jpg

s0372_ss0052_it0656.jpg

s0372_ss0052_it0660.jpg

I've seen these pictures in my browsing the Toronto Archives; but nothing ever twigged.

The size of that basement gym room and the window configuration in the second picture very very strongly suggest you've hit paydirt, Anna. :)

James’ reference to “Duke of York, old school” is a bit of a head-scratcher. The building does not appear on the 1880 Goad but does appear on the 1884. It’s first mentioned in the 1882 Directory as a “skating rink,” and thereafter as “Moss Park Skating Rink,” or later as “Moss Park Recreation Centre.” In the 1880s Toronto public schools were usually named after their street.

Thank you wwwebster. Some more pictures of yours are coming soon to this thread. They're just waiting their turn. :)

Then and Now for October 25, 2012.

Then. March 12, 1950. Looking at the NW corner of Yonge and Gerrard.

831.jpg

Now. May 2012. Aura Condo. They've made quite some progress at street level since May. The fencing is gone and a bank, and a 'Bed, Bath and Beyond' (BB&B is on the second floor) are far along in their interiors.

832.jpg

The interesting thing about this corner is that it was a parking lot for about 35 years prior to the Aura condo. The walls of the basements of the old buildings came to light during the excavations but I didn't have a camera and when I returned with one it was too late.

Then and Now for October 26, 2012.

Then. "Trinity College old gates." May 29, 1926. Queen Street W. N side opp Strachan. Trinity College itself (1852 - 1950s) is in the distance.

833trinitycollgeoldgates5291926.jpg

Now. May 2012. These gates that many pass by daily - a remnant/totem of/to a school building demolished in the 1950s - if you know your history of Toronto, you may know of this. If not, many may think it's simply a splendid old gate to a very old park.

834.jpg

834a.jpg

And, in the Then picture, the earth was tilting about its axis a little more than usual, a gravitational perturbation outside of the norm. :)

This 1909 picture is most fascinating, thecharioteer. The circular path around Trinity College still exists. On Google maps it's shown as 'Trinity Circle'. The raised berm on which our vanished College sat has been leveled too; there is no evidence of it today. I was in the neighbourhood for dinner this evening and I went over and took a Now picture in the fading light [which at this time of year is 4pm :) ]. Thank goodness for exposure controls on modern digital cameras.

DSC_0576.jpg

It's the weekend and time again for some musings.

I was walking by Gold's Appliances at Queen West and Niagara streets. The old ranges ['stoves' some of us might call them] in the window caught my eye. Enjoy.

CSC_0573.jpg

Here's a closeup of the cool retro details of the stove on the right.

CSC_0577.jpg

You might want to buy one of those ranges and remodel your kitchen to look like an old one like these:

http://pinterest.com/secretdesign/mid-century-modern-kitchens/

As someone who had to buy a new stove yesterday because my "old" one (at 10 years of age) has an "electronics" problem and 'spare parts are not generally available for stoves older than 10 years' (and if they are they cost $$$) this really hit home.

I remember Steak and Burger too. My mom used to take me to the one at Fairview Mall. I think it's a Michel's Baguette now.

That's very cool that you said that. My family used to go to the Fairview Mall one too. Great memories. The mall is so different now though isn't it?

Back