News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 851     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I have no idea what the purpose of those survey maps is, but among them is one marking 'Royal Drive', which I believe came up a while ago. It appears to be the DVP onramp at Broadview now.

The DVP onramp was earlier called Winchester Dr. and connected the city with Don Mills Rd. (Broadview).
I believe the designation "Royal Drive" may have temporarily been used when the King & Queen drove into Riverdale Park during the 1939 Royal visit.

wTNWinchesterDratBroadview1919-1.jpg

I believe the designation "Royal Drive" may have temporarily been used when the King & Queen drove into Riverdale Park during the 1939 Royal visit.

Which is why it's odd that it should appear on a map that's 'revised to June 2011', albeit no longer connected to Winchester Dr, of course:

http://www.toronto.ca/mapping/catalogue/pdf/dmog_index.pdf
(see page 11)

I have, however, discovered that these maps are part of a program involving utilities.

That Pizza Pizza is a terrible substitute for the old BNS branch.

There is currently a street sign at that corner that reads "Royal Drive."

Thanks, wwwebster.
I neglected to see that sign during my visit 2 years ago.
Guess the name is permanent then - not temporary as I thought.
I wonder if it was officially changed in 1939 - or only after the DVP ramp was built.

Which is why it's odd that it should appear on a map that's 'revised to June 2011', albeit no longer connected to Winchester Dr, of course:

http://www.toronto.ca/mapping/catalogue/pdf/dmog_index.pdf
(see page 11)

I have, however, discovered that these maps are part of a program involving utilities.

That Pizza Pizza is a terrible substitute for the old BNS branch.

Interesting. After you mentioned that Esten Dr showed up on that map, I checked the 1950s Toronto Survey Map
http://www.toronto.ca/archives/maps/1950-toronto-survey.htm

No Esten, but Royal Drive is marked.

I wonder how many streets there are out there that are named but don't exist.

Shall we start talking about you and your knowledge instead of Toronto's history?

I have a feeling there's something else you'd like to say but you'd rather just hint at it.

Nope. Nope. But when fools challenge others in a thread, that's pretty much what happens. Did you get what I meant? Do I have to explain it? I have a feeling you didn't.

"Dang Toronto sure changed a lot this past century."
QUOTE SupernovA113.

Yes we have; from horse manure to dog crap.

"I like the smell of horse manure in the morning"
(Paraphrase, Alfred Krupp. 1812 - 1887.)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
What a great rain storm today. Our city streets and sidewalks needed a good scouring like this.

Then and Now for July 16.

Then. Rawlinson Public School. c1921. Earnscliffe and Glenholme Aves. I've been studying this one. It's not from the usual design mold. Other contemporary schools from the 1920s - Maurice Cody, John Wanless, Bedford Park schools all stylistically alike but this one was different. That roof; for starters.

669EarnscliffeNsideEofGlenholmec1921.jpg

Now. April 2012. The original building might still be underneath that.. but then, probably not.

670.jpg

First post... After lurking for years... But I couldn't resist.

Mustapha, I went to that school. Many good memories still after 30 years. The school actually has two sections: the newer one facing Glenholme that you have taken the picture of, and which looks nothing like the first pic because it is a different building, and an older section, which is not on Gelnholme, but on Earnscliffe. That was the original entrance. When I was a student, it was quite obvious that depending on where we were in school, some parts were much newer than others. I later realized that there were two different buildings that comprised the school.

I am guessing that it is that Earnscliffe section which will look like the first pic you posted, but I don't have any pictures of it. It looks as though I now have to drive down there tomorrow to satisfy my curiousity (camera in hand of course)...

First post... After lurking for years... But I couldn't resist.

Mustapha, I went to that school. Many good memories still after 30 years. The school actually has two sections: the newer one facing Glenholme that you have taken the picture of, and which looks nothing like the first pic because it is a different building, and an older section, which is not on Gelnholme, but on Earnscliffe. That was the original entrance. When I was a student, it was quite obvious that depending on where we were in school, some parts were much newer than others. I later realized that there were two different buildings that comprised the school.

I am guessing that it is that Earnscliffe section which will look like the first pic you posted, but I don't have any pictures of it. It looks as though I now have to drive down there tomorrow to satisfy my curiousity (camera in hand of course)...

Goldfinger.. or may I call you Auric? :)

Welcome; and we await your intrepid investigation.

Cheers,

Moose.

Then and Now for July 17.

Then. 100 Torrens Avenue. Opened 1915. Torrens Avenue School. Note the ships mast thing. They must have had a cadet corps of some sort.

671100Torrensc1915.jpg

Now. April 2012. William Burgess Elementary (renamed in 1922).

672.jpg

Always liked that school (and it's improved by the renovation of the original's mean little gabled entrances); seems like the architects were paying attention to Dwight Perkins' educational avant-gardeisms in Chicago...

3243526370_0d4d7738e2_z.jpg

Always liked that school (and it's improved by the renovation of the original's mean little gabled entrances); seems like the architects were paying attention to Dwight Perkins' educational avant-gardeisms in Chicago...

3243526370_0d4d7738e2_z.jpg

Looks like it received some much needed renos since I was last inside! My children attended this school and my wife was fighting the board (East York at the time) as there was quite the mold issue in some classrooms. There are extensive additions on the back and to the west. I remember when one Chimney collapsed through the roof, thought to be struck by lighting or some such thing. No one was injured. Nice building though.

Last edited:

Back