News   Apr 18, 2024
 222     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 542     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     0 

Hyatt Regency Toronto Airport (Regal Constellation site)

What a disappointment to hear that it's going to become a parking lot. It was quite the unique complex with its showy Modern architecture that fit the airport location perfectly and made the streetscape on Dixon so much more memorable. We've lost a building that helped to define the area and which gave it an urban sense of place. The remaining hotels are generally too generic to take on the Regal Constellation's role in placemaking.

I agree that it's a big loss, but the place had simply sat empty for far too long. I've been into the Regal multiple times since it was closed, and the level of degradation was extensive. The cost of remediation was likely quite prohibitive.

I agree that it's a big loss, but the place had simply sat empty for far too long. I've been into the Regal multiple times since it was closed, and the level of degradation was extensive. The cost of remediation was likely quite prohibitive.

It's true that the interior was in a half demolished state for a long time. There was asbestos. However, I don't see asbestos removal as derailing preservation, especially with all the land on the property that could be developed. It was most likely a victim of crude planning and bad economics.

Back