News   Mar 28, 2024
 101     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 280     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 641     0 

Hyatt Regency Toronto Airport (Regal Constellation site)

Update with Photos

just drove by there today and took some photos , looks like they are slowing knocking down both towers :(

IMG-20111008-00172.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG-20111008-00171.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks like a real "deconstruction as opposed to demolition" job there, the meticulousness of concrete-removal in the newer tower...

This looks like the job of a wrecking ball which is more brutish than a concrete crushing excavator.

Passed by the Constellation this week and saw that all that was left was the elevator shaft of the new wing and most of the old tower - she is of course much tougher. A sad day for me. I looked over at it every single day on the way to work coming down the 427 for over 20 years. I attended one of the Toronto Star Trek conventions there and stayed there once after moving from Montreal. It was beginning to be my new Bayview Ghost and it's weird to say, but had a kind of comforting feeling to know it still stood, even though it was abandoned. I'll miss the old girl.

Last edited:
I stopped by the Constellation today to take some photos which you can view here.

I managed to find a cool souvenir - a small fragment that must have bounced over the fence. The cool part is that it is a fragment of the outside painted wall of the old tower!

ConstellationFragment.jpg

Last edited:
Upuaut: very cool then and now photo
if you would be willing to post the original construction photo (or any photos from the 60s) that would be great :)

and what a cool souvenir to have, although should you be worried about asbestos or anything? I don't know how these things work.

passed by the RC yesterday...the elevator shaft is now almost gone, Priestly demolition works really fast...i'll say that much.

Such a unique building. What a tragic loss :( I stay there in mid 90s the cheese grater building wasn't in use.

Upuaut: very cool then and now photo
if you would be willing to post the original construction photo (or any photos from the 60s) that would be great :)

and what a cool souvenir to have, although should you be worried about asbestos or anything? I don't know how these things work.

passed by the RC yesterday...the elevator shaft is now almost gone, Priestly demolition works really fast...i'll say that much.

I'll find some of the old archived photos and post them. If there was any asbestos I probably breathed more in and got more in my eyes watching the demolition than I'll ever get off a piece of concrete - lol :)

I'll find some of the old archived photos and post them. If there was any asbestos I probably breathed more in and got more in my eyes watching the demolition than I'll ever get off a piece of concrete - lol :)

lol! true i suppose!
I was debating whether I should visit the site again, but I'd rather my last memory of the place be when the main tower was intact. I've been taking pictures at least every week (from a distance) once everything is gone I'm going to compile them.

Looking forward to seeing the old photos! thank you :)

Another fail for modern heritage preservation in Toronto. Will this become the new destruction of the 1960s and '70s?

With these so-called modern heritage structures..........does the city ever help the landlords with upgrading renovation/preservation costs.:confused:

There was the tower renewal project, which could apply. It's Modern heritage or Modernist heritage to be more precise. Ultimately private heritage buildings of any age are generally functional buildings that one expects the private sector to be able to maintain and profit from.

Back