News   Apr 19, 2024
 2.2K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 937     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.5K     3 

The Great PC/Mac Debate (Embarrassing Revelations for Windows Vista)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly - if you are comparing the features between those various PC laptops and MacBook Pro (which I personally think it isn't that stellar), then yeah...but I am focusing on the 13" MacBook instead.

AoD

I don't know...is the Macbook really that great though? Like the MBP, at it's base price ($1400) it doesn't seem like much of a value at all. The Vaio I mentioned above (16.4") can be configured at a lower price than that with a Blu Ray Drive (or reader).

syn:

That is if you want to lug around a 16" laptop - the whole appeal of the MacBook is the quasi-ultraportable nature - and that's the class of PC laptop one should make the comparisons. The last thing I want is a Battlestar Galactica laptop masquerading as a desktop - poorly in every respect except weight.

AoD

It also doesn't address one of the other points I was trying to make - you can find quite a few sub $1000 with useful features you still can't get on a MBP...which costs about $2000 more. At this point, I would've expected Apple to finally include them.

Sure the 16.4 in Sony FW cost 700 bucks less than the 15.4 inch MBP and has more ports, etc. In that case I would recommend the Sony for anyone concerned about performance. But for anyone who is considered about mobility and durability, the MBP might well be worth the 700 dollars. Also, I would never pay for the performance of a MB Air but many are willing to pay that much to get a laptop with those capabilities and that mobility. Anyway, I was commenting on the Macbook.

In my brother's experience when buying his MBP, we priced out every laptop brand we new to the same specs as the potential MBP. Most were within 100 dollars give or take of the MBP price. And my brother was more than willing to pay a 100 bucks to get a light and durable laptop....that other stuff....magsafe, magnetic latch, aluminum body, disk safety accelerometer, etc. does matter for laptops and customers are willing to pay for those features. Based on what you've provided though, I'd agree that the MBP update is a bit behind. That just wasn't my experience at the time my brother bought his MBP. And that was his first Apple computer. It was his laptop that convinced me to buy an iMac later. So by no means are we fanboys.

Are you sure about that? I could swear that was a standard feature on any model.

The two low end MB don't have keyboard backlighting.

The Imac is also overpriced compared to it's desktop PC equivalents. You can find a lot of PCs that are a lot more powerful than an Imac for the same price.

1) It wasn't at the time I bought. I purchased it right after the aluminum iMacs were released. They were quite competitive on release.
2) At the time (late 2007) there was no respectable all in one product. There was a Sony system that had a rather smallish low resolution monitor, was an ugly system overall and was thicker than the iMac. There simply is no all in one that compares on price point to the iMac.

I like the fact that my iMac has a clean design. It doubles as a TV in my bedroom. And I have only 2 wires coming out of it....power and tv coax. No keyboard, mouse, internet, etc cables. It's all bluetooth and wifi. I am glad to see that there are windows makers who are finally recognizing the value of building all in ones. This is an area where PC makers were sorely behind.

From a hardware perspective, Apple usually doesn't win (as I tried to illustrate above).

Straight hardware performance does not always make sense. OS X is far more resource efficient that Vista. So while 2 GB RAM maybe standard in the windows world that does not mean that it's required for Macs. But if someone is buying a Mac and does intend to run windows on it, I'd agree that Mac might fall short on this performance/price point.

When comparing Apples to apples (pun intended).....you should keep in mind that price points as most applicable when Apple does an update/refresh:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Other manufacturers adjust prices or update models far more frequently than Apple. So while an iMac might seem like a solid buy right now. 3 months later it won't be the case.

Apple also has unique arrangements with Intel and NVidia. There aren't too many other OEMs who get that kind of treatment. Apple usually gets processor discounts months before everyone else does. Or in some cases they get unique hardware. Find me something equivalent in mobility to the MB Air. And that was enabled by Apple's unique relationship with Intel.

Macs have resale value. Look on ebay, craigslist, etc. Find me any PC that holds its value as good as a mac.

Student pricing doesn't give you much of a discount. Apple may be doing well with it, but there are many more students buying sub-$1000 Sonys, HPs, etc.

Perhaps.... However, a cursory look around any university campus these days will tell you that macs are quite popular. I regularly the starbucks at U of O, and all I see are macs. I hardly ever see a Dell or HP or Lenovo. Indeed some campuses in the US have seen 40% of their students using a mac. That's quite a feat for one single OEM. They are already seeing the halo effect of the iphone. Quite a few iphone owners go in for macs downstream as well..... IMHO, and from my observations, macs make up a disproportionate amount of the student IT asset mix. And in my observation the less tech inclined the faculty the more likely the student body is to go mac. Heck, there's family guy clips on this point!

I also don't really see how it relates to this being a good upgrade for the MBP. As I said, there are some nice new features added, but it's still lacking considering the price you're paying.

Perhaps this round the MBP didn't do well for an upgrade. However there are several unique features here such as the trackpad. Find me another laptop on the market with a buttonless multi-touch glass trackpad. And again your assertion ignores the fact that there are many innovations unique to Apple laptops that many customers are willing to pay for. You may not find the price worthwhile, but for many all those unique innovations are worth the investment.

As I have pointed out....a big plus for Apple is design. Many are willing to pay a premium for this. Most importantly is compactness and durability. The durability of macbooks with their metal cases is amazing and will only get better now that they are machining the cases from one solid block. When it comes to finish, Apple products are quite good. Everything from an ipod to an iMac to a MBP is built decently and in a very compact form.

In sum this is what Apple has going for it:

1) Compact and ergonomic design - all-in-one imac, 3mm wireless keyboard,etc.
2) Durability/survivability - machined metal case, magnetic latch, magsafe, etc.
3) Usability - OS X, multi-touch buttonless trackpad, Apple software (iWork, iLife, etc.)
4) Support - Apple is really, really good at this.

Is all that worth the 700 - 1000 dollar premium? Every buyer makes their own decision. I've used PCs all my life but my iMac has been the first computer that has given me a flawless user experience and I am hooked on the compact, integrated, wireless design. However, if I were to get that from a WinPC I might consider going back. I am in the market for a new notebook and I am looking around to see what's on offer.

Any way, the coming recession will be quite revealing. Apple has been gaining market share at an incredible pace despite the price premium of its products and an absolute lack of low end products. Let's see if this trend holds and the customer is still willing to pay for design when times are tougher.

Windows Vista, the original thread

Why don't you guys start a thread like, let's see, My laptop is bigger than your laptop or smaller maybe.

This discussion has deteriorated into the tiresome old PC-MAC pissing match that has no resolution since it basically a matter of religion.

I just purchased 2 PC's equipped with Vista Home Premium operating systems and am in the process of rewiring my brain from Win XP to Vista specs. My initial reaction to Vista is that is kind of Glitsy (which can optioned away mostly) but runs fine and quickly.

I understand that speed is a product of processor/ram/etc but stability is pretty much all about the OS, I have stability.

Why don't you guys start a thread like, let's see, My laptop is bigger than your laptop or smaller maybe.

This discussion has deteriorated into the tiresome old PC-MAC pissing match that has no resolution since it basically a matter of religion.

Not really. There is no reason it should devolve into that.... I think people do get touchy though when either side sets out to prove that you got duped with your investment.

I just purchased 2 PC's equipped with Vista Home Premium operating systems and am in the process of rewiring my brain from Win XP to Vista specs. My initial reaction to Vista is that is kind of Glitsy (which can optioned away mostly) but runs fine and quickly.

I actually like Vista. I have it on my mac. I don't see what all the complaints are. It's never crashed on me. And I've been able to run any software I want on it quite well.

I understand that speed is a product of processor/ram/etc but stability is pretty much all about the OS, I have stability.

Here in lies the problem with Windows rigs. While Apple can control the performance of the system by building a rig specifically tailored to its operating system, PC manufacturers and Microsoft have no such luck. That's why Windows gets bloated with drivers and other minutiae.

That being said, my criticism of Apple lies in the fact that they don't make low end products. The cheapest mac you can get is 650 bucks and that's with no keyboard, mouse or display. There is something to be said for keeping a low bar of entry. Microsoft and PC makers have enabled millions of ordinary folks to have computers at home with cheap machines that do the basics. Apple's sales pitch is that you can do so much more on their machines. But they don't give you the choice of paying less to be able to do less on a mac.

There is the third way coming that will spell the end of apple and microsoft...open source.....first there was linux, then there was open office, now you have android, chrome, etc. I can't wait for these systems to develop and outpace the closed approaches of Apple and Microsoft.

Just a quick correction kEiThZ: Apple does offer a cheap entry level computer... it's sold as an iPod, even though it's a great entry level Mac that runs on mobile OS X.

iPod touch and iPhone are both able to independantly satisfy the needs of many entry level users.

A little experience of my own: I forgot my backpack with my MacBook Pro at my cousin's house on Thanksgiving and was unable to go back up there to pick it up for two days. I thought I'd die without it but it turns out that my iPhone kept me connected for those two days.

I was still connected by email and Facebook, I was even able to follow my ongoing eBay auctions. I was able to continue watching my favorite podcasts, as well as browsing YouTube and Flickr. I also had easy access to searching for info on a movie that I was going to watch with the "Now Playing" and check out a restaurant in the area with "Urban Spoon". After the movie, my friend and I had a discussion and were able to find information to clear it up over iWik (Wikipedia app).
Most of my favorite online services have their own iPhone apps (where's the UrbanToronto app? :p) but for those that don't, Safari for iPhone is quite exceptional.

All this can be done on the iPod touch starting at $259. Of course, productivity applications for work and creativity can't be replaced. However, for your regular browsing, emailing and info finding, something like the iPod/iPhone seems to be finding quite a niche in the future.

To rebuttal Syn on a couple of issues:

The new MacBooks are quite exceptional. You may not notice it at first glance, but they were completely redesigned from scratch with technology not yet available in other notebooks or computers in general.

Syn, you ask for HDMI and then say that Apple is falling behind on video output. Have you failed to notice that the new MacBooks are on the cutting edge with DisplayPort? This is the future of video out. It'll be what DVI was to VGA serial ports. All the major manufacturers are talking about their future products that will incorporate DisplayPort. Apple is shipping it in consumer products.

You also fail to take into account that portability and endurance are very important factors in a notebook, which Apple has addressed with their new unibody construction, a unique industrial design feature unheard of. It allows for a very thin and light body, with less parts and greater rigidity and endurance.

Small things that may go unnoticed is that the audio in/out ports have been upgraded as well. You can now plug in a headphone and mic on the same cable and without an amp. This will allow for headsets with built in mic. Audio out is SPDIF optical digital for a clear output to high end sound systems and mixing tables.

The new multi-touch glass, buttonless touch pad is also unique in the industry. It is cutting edge. I wouldn't give up my multi-touch gestures on my current MacBook Pro trackpad for a mouse any day... and I'm a designer. With multi-touch, you're able to dispense with buttons entirely for what used to be a complex system of mouse buttons, wheels and pop up menus. The gestures are very easy to learn and implement. The glass surface is a great touch. It glides beautifully.
Apple is looking to the future with this new surface. In combination with integrated DisplayPort technology, it will be possible to have an LCD display under the glass of the touchpad and in keyboard buttons in future models. The applications for this are mind boggling!

Further, Apple is developing a new version of OS X Leopard (Snow Leopard) that will take advantage of the GPU for general processing. With the integration of nVidea's chipset and 2 video cards with 16 + 32GPU cores, and Intel's upcoming generation of multi core CPU chips, there's not going to be anything like it in the industry.

I'm looking forward to Windows 7, but at this point, Microsoft is playing catchup because of their years of complacency. OS X is the highest model to follow – agreed upon by PC experts in different fields – and Acer, DELL, HP and Google are all looking to launching their own OS's further chipping away at Microsoft's dominance.

Aaaargh!

Notice any mention of VISTA in the last 2 posts.

Mr. Moderator do your job.

The new MacBooks are quite exceptional. You may not notice it at first glance, but they were completely redesigned from scratch with technology not yet available in other notebooks or computers in general.

Syn, you ask for HDMI and then say that Apple is falling behind on video output. Have you failed to notice that the new MacBooks are on the cutting edge with DisplayPort? This is the future of video out. It'll be what DVI was to VGA serial ports. All the major manufacturers are talking about their future products that will incorporate DisplayPort. Apple is shipping it in consumer products.

You also fail to take into account that portability and endurance are very important factors in a notebook, which Apple has addressed with their new unibody construction, a unique industrial design feature unheard of. It allows for a very thin and light body, with less parts and greater rigidity and endurance.

Small things that may go unnoticed is that the audio in/out ports have been upgraded as well. You can now plug in a headphone and mic on the same cable and without an amp. This will allow for headsets with built in mic. Audio out is SPDIF optical digital for a clear output to high end sound systems and mixing tables.

The new multi-touch glass, buttonless touch pad is also unique in the industry. It is cutting edge. I wouldn't give up my multi-touch gestures on my current MacBook Pro trackpad for a mouse any day... and I'm a designer. With multi-touch, you're able to dispense with buttons entirely for what used to be a complex system of mouse buttons, wheels and pop up menus. The gestures are very easy to learn and implement. The glass surface is a great touch. It glides beautifully.
Apple is looking to the future with this new surface. In combination with integrated DisplayPort technology, it will be possible to have an LCD display under the glass of the touchpad and in keyboard buttons in future models. The applications for this are mind boggling!

Further, Apple is developing a new version of OS X Leopard (Snow Leopard) that will take advantage of the GPU for general processing. With the integration of nVidea's chipset and 2 video cards with 16 + 32GPU cores, and Intel's upcoming generation of multi core CPU chips, there's not going to be anything like it in the industry.

I'm looking forward to Windows 7, but at this point, Microsoft is playing catchup because of their years of complacency. OS X is the highest model to follow – agreed upon by PC experts in different fields – and Acer, DELL, HP and Google are all looking to launching their own OS's further chipping away at Microsoft's dominance.

Do you work at a Mac store, or just work on their infomercials? Yeesh...

^ None. Just a happy customer.

This is a forum, people debate issues on a forum. If you don't like the topic or don't like discussions in general, you're in the wrong place.

Well, that doesn't sound like a critical opinion to me, it sounds like something the marketing department produced.

Unrestrained boosterism is partly why this forum was created in the first place.

Sure the 16.4 in Sony FW cost 700 bucks less than the 15.4 inch MBP and has more ports, etc. In that case I would recommend the Sony for anyone concerned about performance. But for anyone who is considered about mobility and durability, the MBP might well be worth the 700 dollars. Also, I would never pay for the performance of a MB Air but many are willing to pay that much to get a laptop with those capabilities and that mobility. Anyway, I was commenting on the Macbook.

The Vaio FW is $700 less in that configuration (you can configure it
so it's much less) and is hardly the monster people seem to think it
is. It's not even a pound more than the Macbook Pro.

1) It wasn't at the time I bought. I purchased it right after the
aluminum iMacs were released. They were quite competitive on release.
2) At the time (late 2007) there was no respectable all in one
product. There was a Sony system that had a rather smallish low
resolution monitor, was an ugly system overall and was thicker than
the iMac. There simply is no all in one that compares on price point
to the iMac.

That isn't true. Having purchased a computer last year (when the
newest line of Imacs were released), you could definitely find PCs
with better specs for a cheaper price. At this point, a lot of the
Imacs on sale are quite far behind in specs...but the price is still
the same.

I like the fact that my iMac has a clean design. It doubles as a TV in
my bedroom. And I have only 2 wires coming out of it....power and tv
coax. No keyboard, mouse, internet, etc cables. It's all bluetooth and
wifi. I am glad to see that there are windows makers who are finally
recognizing the value of building all in ones. This is an area where
PC makers were sorely behind.

PC makers have been building all-in-ones for many years. It's nothing
new. There just isn't the same demand for it; they're harder to
upgrade and customize.

Straight hardware performance does not always make sense. OS X is far
more resource efficient that Vista. So while 2 GB RAM maybe standard
in the windows world that does not mean that it's required for Macs.
But if someone is buying a Mac and does intend to run windows on it,
I'd agree that Mac might fall short on this performance/price point.

Yes, I agree. Software efficiency can reduce the impact of limited hardware. That really isn't the issue though; the fact is you're paying a lot more for the hardware.

Perhaps.... However, a cursory look around any university campus these days will tell you that macs are quite popular. I regularly the starbucks at U of O, and all I see are macs. I hardly ever see a Dell or HP or Lenovo. Indeed some campuses in the US have seen 40% of their students using a mac. That's quite a feat for one single OEM. They are already seeing the halo effect of the iphone. Quite a few iphone owners go in for macs downstream as well..... IMHO, and from my observations, macs make up a disproportionate amount of the student IT asset mix. And in my observation the less tech inclined the faculty the more likely the student body is to go mac. Heck, there's family guy clips on this point!

First of all, I would say that anecdotal evidence doesn't really mean much in this case when talking about overall usage. One day you may see a lot of people using Mac laptops, and the next day you'll see a lot of them using PC laptops.

Macbooks are certainly popular. They're generally good systems and I can see why they appeal to a lot of people. But let's face it; as long as you can find full featured laptops (from a student perspective) considerably cheaper than Apple, they're going to be a lot more common than Apples.

Perhaps this round the MBP didn't do well for an upgrade. However there are several unique features here such as the trackpad. Find me another laptop on the market with a buttonless multi-touch glass trackpad. And again your assertion ignores the fact that there are many innovations unique to Apple laptops that many customers are willing to pay for. You may not find the price worthwhile, but for many all those unique innovations are worth the investment.

I'm not ignoring these innovations at all. The problem is that you can make the same argument for for PC laptops, most of which have features you still can't find on Mac. The difference is that you can find such laptops for a much cheaper price.

The multitouch trackpad is great, but you can find a tablet PC with a full touch screen for a comparable price (or even cheaper in a lot of cases).

As I have pointed out....a big plus for Apple is design. Many are willing to pay a premium for this. Most importantly is compactness and durability. The durability of macbooks with their metal cases is amazing and will only get better now that they are machining the cases from one solid block. When it comes to finish, Apple products are quite good. Everything from an ipod to an iMac to a MBP is built decently and in a very compact form.

Well, I'd say it's more aesthetics than design. I agree though, it's a big plus and rightfully so. Apples laptop lineup (at least the previous generation) was probably the best looking on the market. Even that's changing, however, as competitors put out more aesthetically pleasing designs. Sony has a few pretty good ones (that have apparently have terrific build quality too), except you don't have to pay a huge premium for them.

1) Compact and ergonomic design - all-in-one imac, 3mm wireless keyboard,etc.
2) Durability/survivability - machined metal case, magnetic latch, magsafe, etc.
3) Usability - OS X, multi-touch buttonless trackpad, Apple software (iWork, iLife, etc.)
4) Support - Apple is really, really good at this.

All of which you can find on PCs too. The IMac all-in-one isn't perfect either; they use laptop parts to fit everything in, and the location of the optical drive isn't practical in a lot of situations either.

I agree though, Apple computers offer a nice combination of all these things.

Is all that worth the 700 - 1000 dollar premium? Every buyer makes their own decision. I've used PCs all my life but my iMac has been the first computer that has given me a flawless user experience and I am hooked on the compact, integrated, wireless design. However, if I were to get that from a WinPC I might consider going back. I am in the market for a new notebook and I am looking around to see what's on offer.

If someone is willing to pay $1000 more just so can get these nice touches that's great. My point was that PC laptops have a lot of nice touches you still can't find on a Mac laptop (which shouldn't be difficult to include either), except you don't have to pay a huge premium for them. For a company that sells itself on design, usability and providing it's users with options, excluding the amount of usability and functionality they do (while still charging a very big premium) is a head scratcher.

syn:

That is if you want to lug around a 16" laptop - the whole appeal of the MacBook is the quasi-ultraportable nature - and that's the class of PC laptop one should make the comparisons. The last thing I want is a Battlestar Galactica laptop masquerading as a desktop - poorly in every respect except weight.

AoD

That's true. You're right, compared to other laptops in that class, the MB offers the best value in the Apple lineup. You can get a smaller (overall size) Sony SR for a cheaper price, but similarly equipped the prices are similar.

When people want a Mac (especially a Macbook Air), I usually tell them to just get a regular Macbook, which offers far more value.

Just a quick correction kEiThZ: Apple does offer a cheap entry level computer... it's sold as an iPod, even though it's a great entry level Mac that runs on mobile OS X.

iPod touch and iPhone are both able to independantly satisfy the needs of many entry level users.

A little experience of my own: I forgot my backpack with my MacBook Pro at my cousin's house on Thanksgiving and was unable to go back up there to pick it up for two days. I thought I'd die without it but it turns out that my iPhone kept me connected for those two days.

I was still connected by email and Facebook, I was even able to follow my ongoing eBay auctions. I was able to continue watching my favorite podcasts, as well as browsing YouTube and Flickr. I also had easy access to searching for info on a movie that I was going to watch with the "Now Playing" and check out a restaurant in the area with "Urban Spoon". After the movie, my friend and I had a discussion and were able to find information to clear it up over iWik (Wikipedia app).
Most of my favorite online services have their own iPhone apps (where's the UrbanToronto app? :p) but for those that don't, Safari for iPhone is quite exceptional.

All this can be done on the iPod touch starting at $259. Of course, productivity applications for work and creativity can't be replaced. However, for your regular browsing, emailing and info finding, something like the iPod/iPhone seems to be finding quite a niche in the future.

I'd say calling IPod Touch and IPhone entry level computers is a huge stretch. That's like me saying you could've got $200 computer years ago in the form of a Windows Mobile phone. The actual functionality of the IPhone compared to a even a Palm Pilot device of a few years ago isn't that impressive. It has a great interface, but that aside it's still catching up.

I'd expect an entry level computer to at least offer cut and paste functionality, something you still can't get with the IPhone.

I'm aware of the new technology in these notebooks. As I've said before, there are products from other manufacturers that can make the same claims.

If you read my responses, you'd see I already mentioned DisplayPort.

HDMI has been around for a little while now and can be found in many laptops (even in the sub - $1000 range) and monitors. Apple still doesn't even offer it as an option.

As I've already stated, this hasn't gone unnoticed at all. The best aspect of the unibody construction is that it simplifies the design a lot. It will be interesting to see if Apple passes this along to the consumer in the form reduced prices as time goes by and it becomes the norm.

Honestly, this isn't a big deal. S/PDIF can be found on a lot of laptops.

Well, in the industry I wouldn't exactly call it unique. Microsoft is releasing Multi-Touch devices too, they're just starting with a different market. I don't know if you're familiar with Surfaces, but it's pretty impressive.

For laptops and desktops, it definitely is unique now though. But as I mentioned, I can get even more interactivity with a Tablet PC that has a full touch screen - and they come in various different price ranges.

By the way, didn't you say you were a programmer?

Or you could just get a Tablet PC...

These applications are exciting, but the same things are on the horizon with the Surfaces platform.

Apple has done some terrific things, but this isn't a very objective take.

First of all, a lot of people would disagree that OS X is the pinnacle of operating system models.

Secondly, Microsoft isn't nearly as complacent as you think they are. Multi Touch isn't a new concept and MS has also been developing such technology for years. In many ways, Surfaces is a lot more impressive than Apple's MT offerings. The plan is to have consumer level Surface computers out in the next few years, and it's likely Windows 7 will fully support them (as well as offer a lot of new functionality for general Tablet PCs).

As far as playing catch up, MS has a huge lead. If anything, Apple is playing catch up. That kind of goes back to my original point on the disappointment with the MBP update - Apple could've finally integrated some of the user friendly features that have been around in PC laptops for ages. Combined with Apple innovations, they could've had a system that truly trumped the competition. Instead, it's still missing a lot of the functionality you can find in PC laptops that are a lot cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back