2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Crises in Haiti

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Don't think we have a news-round thread for the Caribbean, so this gets its own thread.

Haiti has been hit a by a large quake (7.2). The official death toll already stands at over 200, but apparently several smaller towns and villages have been obliterated, so this is likely to rise, sadly.

Additionally, exacerbating this crisis, Haiti is likely to be hit by a tropical storm, as soon as Monday

How can one not feel badly for the people of a nation which seems to face no end of crises and which has precious little ability to cope w/same?

Real risk we see what's left of the army and police force simply melt away and the country become Somalia 2.0.

In an emotionally detached way - without the risk of terrorism (though much higher immediate refugee problem). Considering the limitations of interventions and that a good portion of their population doesn't want it... You really can't govern for those who doesn't want to govern themselves and create the conditions for stability.

EDIT: Changed the title so that is so more generic - and applicable.

AoD

Real risk we see what's left of the army and police force simply melt away and the country become Somalia 2.0.
It's guaranteed. If I'm a Haitian cop or soldier, I'm abandoning my uniform without hesitation. The relentless threat of violence for a laughable amount of pay is ridiculous. Continuing in such a targeted role wouldn't even be a consideration.

It's guaranteed. If I'm a Haitian cop or soldier, I'm abandoning my uniform without hesitation. The relentless threat of violence for a laughable amount of pay is ridiculous. Continuing in such a targeted role wouldn't even be a consideration.

Or turn to the dark side (if they haven't already) and become a local warlord/their foot soldier - because it is exactly what happens in these scenarios.

AoD

Or turn to the dark side (if they haven't already) and become a local warlord/their foot soldier - because it is exactly what happens in these scenarios.

AoD
I'd like to think I'd be incapable of supporting evil, so I'd be on a boat to flee that flaming dump ASAP.

In an emotionally detached way - without the risk of terrorism (though much higher immediate refugee problem). Considering the limitations of interventions and that a good portion of their population doesn't want it... You really can't govern for those who doesn't want to govern themselves and create the conditions for stability.

Mostly agree. But their problem is going to become our problem with a refugee crisis, and probably an American problem with a new cartel haven. That threat is likely to drive some kind of intervention.

That's why what is needed is capacity building. Outsiders will have to train, equip and fund their forces, as a minimum. Even if we don't want to get actively involved in fighting a counterinsurgency.

Back