News   Mar 28, 2024
 128     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 575     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 364     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Ads don’t have to cover the windows to generate revenue. I find them very unpleasant. Rode a bus charter all the way to NYC with those things on the windows - consensus on the bus was it was a miserable experience.

We could eliminate cleaning for transit vehicles and save another 2-3%. Shall we do that too ? Maybe not.

Let’s make the transit experience attractive so we get 2-3% more riders. I don’t see an affordability dilemma here.

- Paul
You’re comparing a 500+ km trip to NYC vs a 11km LRT line.

Advertising doesn't provide much revenue for the TTC. Check out the budget.

In 2018, that was $28.35m. Around the same as many of the add-ons that TTC has provided (2 hour transfer, under 12 free, etc).

That's all advertising. If as a city, we said we don't want streetcars wrapped, that could easily absorbed.

And that’s all advertising: traditional interior posters in stations and on vehicles, partial and full wraps, and station domination ads. Window-covering wraps are a mere fraction of the overall ad revenue.

Saw a full wrap today and thought of the convo earlier, no advertising revenue and it's a fairly short lived one (Celebrations are ~2 weeks for this?)

wrap.jpg

Saw a full wrap today and thought of the convo earlier, no advertising revenue and it's a fairly short lived one (Celebrations are ~2 weeks for this?)

View attachment 454740
This is more acceptable than advertising, but covering the windows still creates an unpleasant user experience.

I’m a designer and artist. And if I were to do a vehicle piece, I’d avoid covering the windows as much as possible. It does limit you, sometimes quite a bit. But I ride transit all the time, and know how awful full window wraps can be.

I'm kind of sad when I go abroad and see in person Canada is one of the least creative countries overall
If you watched the 1972 Hockey Summit series, you may have noticed no board advertisements in the Canadian rinks, but there were board advertisements in the Moscow rink. There were Canadian advertisers on the Moscow rink, at a then cheap price to get on TV. That changed soon after.

Does show how behind Canada is behind others.

Last edited:
I was having a lack a daisy day for photographing that I call it a day after only a short day and not do what was on the list for the day. As I was heading home on the 401 and coming up to the 400 interchange, I decided to take a look at at the Finch-Jane area and take a look west of it that was planned for a later date.

Traffic is still a bitch getting west of Norfinch as well where there are no left turn lanes. Then, you have buses where there is no room to pass them when dropping/picking up riders. Doing the snake drive can be very entertainingly.

My view hasn't change since I first drove the route last year and after today drive that the line will not open in 2023 at all. I am currently say maybe luckily to see it by Q2 2024 and will know more come June.

5 cars sitting in the yard and too far away to see numbers. No on street testing will be done for sometime as the inbound track coming off Finch is under a tent to have something repair. Eastbound is block off as well.

Seeing the Finch-Jane Station confirm what I expected from day one that there will be only one car been used on opening day as the platforms are 50m long. Hurontario Line is seeing the same thing. I see they have a substation at the end of the platform that will have to be moved at a later date if the platform is to increase to 100m to hold 2 cars.

The eastbound platform with shelters in place for Islington with a number being built.

The one thing that has stands out to me in all my visits is how is the rail anchor down in the concrete grove. Every time I saw an location where the rail is to be place, no place to park to take a look, Where rail has been installed, its either grout or epoxy holding the rail in place on both side with the inside being lower for the wheel flange,

Hard to saw when last year shots as well today's will be up, as I still have 3000 in backlog and hit a date where it will be time consuming to tag and number as its not a one tag fit all

In the next month or 2 when I have use of wheels, will do an early Sunday video of the route with the new video camera that is replacing the dead one. No more DSLR videos for me.

I was having a lack a daisy day for photographing that I call it a day after only a short day and not do what was on the list for the day. As I was heading home on the 401 and coming up to the 400 interchange, I decided to take a look at at the Finch-Jane area and take a look west of it that was planned for a later date.

Traffic is still a bitch getting west of Norfinch as well where there are no left turn lanes. Then, you have buses where there is no room to pass them when dropping/picking up riders. Doing the snake drive can be very entertainingly.

My view hasn't change since I first drove the route last year and after today drive that the line will not open in 2023 at all. I am currently say maybe luckily to see it by Q2 2024 and will know more come June.

5 cars sitting in the yard and too far away to see numbers. No on street testing will be done for sometime as the inbound track coming off Finch is under a tent to have something repair. Eastbound is block off as well.

Seeing the Finch-Jane Station confirm what I expected from day one that there will be only one car been used on opening day as the platforms are 50m long. Hurontario Line is seeing the same thing. I see they have a substation at the end of the platform that will have to be moved at a later date if the platform is to increase to 100m to hold 2 cars.

The eastbound platform with shelters in place for Islington with a number being built.

The one thing that has stands out to me in all my visits is how is the rail anchor down in the concrete grove. Every time I saw an location where the rail is to be place, no place to park to take a look, Where rail has been installed, its either grout or epoxy holding the rail in place on both side with the inside being lower for the wheel flange,

Hard to saw when last year shots as well today's will be up, as I still have 3000 in backlog and hit a date where it will be time consuming to tag and number as its not a one tag fit all

In the next month or 2 when I have use of wheels, will do an early Sunday video of the route with the new video camera that is replacing the dead one. No more DSLR videos for me.
disagree, the only area of concern is between jayzel-weston and even that area is finally moving along, i'm confident we'll see this line completed by the end of 2023

disagree, the only area of concern is between jayzel-weston and even that area is finally moving along, i'm confident we'll see this line completed by the end of 2023
It maybe complete by the end of 2023, but not operational as plan.

Back