News   Apr 23, 2024
 205     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 414     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Durham Region Transit / Pulse

The 33 Forest Hill bus operates rush hour and midday, Monday to Friday only, also every 30 minutes. The only difference is that the 33 Forest Hill operates midday, while the 222 Audley South operates rush hours only. However, I think the people in Forest Hill are more upscale than those in the Ajax subdivision. I haven't heard a request for less service from the Forest Hill people.

It's not a universal rule, but it holds true in most 905 communities (such as the one I live in).

I suspect that the 33 Forest Hill has remained constant because it is a fairly short ride to the subway, making it a much more viable option for people to get around. You wouldn't be able to use the "no one wants to sit on the bus for hours" argument.

Another thing about the Forest Hill and Rosedale buses is that they serve as convenient transport for maids...

She isn't rich, rich people don't say they are rich. That is one of the defining characteristics of being rich. The only people who say they are rich are nouveau-riche, who usually aren't very rich (combined earning of 150-300k). I mean, think about it, when was the last time you heard much complaining come out of the Bridle Path? Or Rosedale? Real rich people try to avoid attention being paid to the fact they are rich..
Indeed. There are several TTC bus routes that roll straight through Rosedale, such as the 75 Sherbourne and 82 Rosedale. Those folks wouldn't dare complain.

Besides, how would the hired help get to your place otherwise?

Indeed. There are several TTC bus routes that roll straight through Rosedale, such as the 75 Sherbourne and 82 Rosedale. Those folks wouldn't dare complain.

Besides, how would the hired help get to your place otherwise?

Hired help are people too... I don't fully see how their jobs are relevant. Cleaning ladies commuting to Rosedale are no different from bankers commuting to Bay' King.

Rosedale: The original "live-work" community?

A bunch of my friends grew up in the Bridle Path, I seem to remember them always complaining there wasn't enough bus service (hourly back in the early 90s i believe). Just 'cause you're parents are "influential" (I still can't believe she used that word) doesn't mean the kids aren't landlocked until they are 16.

A bunch of my friends grew up in the Bridle Path, I seem to remember them always complaining there wasn't enough bus service (hourly back in the early 90s i believe). Just 'cause you're parents are "influential" (I still can't believe she used that word) doesn't mean the kids aren't landlocked until they are 16.

The route 162 Lawrence-Donway. You are right, it's every 60 minutes when it runs, which is just 6:30-6:30 Monday-Friday.

We'll see if that changes with the supposed improvements with the ridership growth strategy when all routes are supposed to be minimum of every 20 or 30 minutes, 7 days a week.

The route 162 Lawrence-Donway. You are right, it's every 60 minutes when it runs, which is just 6:30-6:30 Monday-Friday.

I rode it once. It was a 12:30 departure from Lawrence Station. 4 Passengers including myself. One person got off somewhere on Bayview, while a Philipino woman got off somewhere inside the Bridle Path neighbourhood. The last passenger didn't get off until after we left the community and were on Donway. I got off at Don Mills.

How fantastic it would be...

Interesting how a Carola Vyhnak the Urban Affairs Reporter manages to distort something this badly. And it is equally interesting how almost all readers fall for it without ever bothering to check facts. But of course, this is the intention. One cannot bore the reader!

The fact that out of the few dozen houses making up the Community affected by the proposed route change 75 residents signed the petition should mean something. For the journalist, this has no bearing because that would establish a truer point of reference. That Mrs. Cassidy does not stand alone, and the majority of the households supports her, is completely hidden in the article. The simple fact is that the majority of the households opposes the bus coming into the particular loop being disputed. Why is this not mentioned?

That this Route 222 business is an experiment (gone wrong but never admitted) by the Durham Transit Commission because there is no other municipality in the GTA where regular buses actually enter the residential subdivisions does not seem to get noticed here. The bus was actually NOT supposed to be routed into the narrow loop that it runs on now. It was supposed to avoid this loop exactly because of the narrow streets and the close proximity of the houses to the curb. Also, there is no mention of the fact that in this particular (shallow-lot) subdivision the houses are set back much less from the street than normal bringing, who cares? The proposed new route (which was the originally planned one) would make those few people who actually use the service to walk at most 400 metres. The inconvenience would be that the riders would not be able to sit on their porches or stand behind their front doors waiting for the bus to stop in front of their houses but they would have to walk to the bus stop and wait a little, just like millions of other commuters do even in the great Canadian winter. I am certain Mrs. Cassidy mentioned these to the reporter who carefully avoided mentioning them in the article. But there is plenty else.

Between 5:30 and 8:00 nobody gets on or off the bus in the morning but the buses keep roaring down the narrow back street of the subdivision generating a noise level way above the allowable noise level set by municipal bylaw (even acknowledged as an issue by Durham Transit). The average 34 riders per hour that Phil Meagher is quoted as saying are not from this subdivision. The bus actually stops on average 6 times a day loading and unloading the impressive amount of 1 passenger per stop (less in the Summer as the 2 students of the loop actually using the bus are not going to school) in the loop that the petition proposes to cut from the bus route. These again were completely missed by the careful journalist. Why bother about such trivial things as accuracy or reflection of truth?

That the bus has barely missed two residents and a number of cars over the past couple of weeks, again, must be ignored according to the standards set by Carola Vyhnak. Newspapers are not supposed to be about informing people any longer according to this standard. They are about advertisements and anything reporters are willing to write and publish to make people buy and read the paper so the corporations keep paying for the ads. Simple as that.

Public transit should serve as much of the community as possible. As there are only a handful using the extension of Route 222, and at most would have to walk 400 metres to the nearest stop, I strongly believe there is better use of taxpayer money. There are areas of Durham region where the buses do not come within a kilometre of houses. I find my tax dollars better spent on bringing public transit to those less fortunate areas. Or perhaps add frequency to service to more populated areas of the region. At least upgrade the buses to make them to run quietly. None of us wants to stop bus service. We would want to promote more sense in the routing of the service.

How fantastic it would be if journalists who have the responsibility to inform the public did what they are supposed to be doing: not bring half truths, manipulated half quotations, and misrepresentations to their readers. And how fantastic it would be if the reader were not so eager to condemn someone who is willing to stand up to represent her community opposite a transit authority that shattered the piece and quiet of a community without any consultation whatsoever. How fantastic it would be...

You are probably right about that.

There are a few unfortunate sentences in the article quoted from Mrs. Cassidy. I was not present at the interview but knowing her, I believe the message she would have wanted to convey with the "more [influence]" reference was that even this way they have not been able to get the Transit corporation to alter the route so far. And yes, this is speculation at this point.

Now this is where I'll stop attempting to explain whatever she may or may not have wanted to say.

All the best!

You are probably right about that.

There are a few unfortunate sentences in the article quoted from Mrs. Cassidy. I was not present at the interview but knowing her, I believe the message she would have wanted to convey with the "more [influence]" reference was that even this way they have not been able to get the Transit corporation to alter the route so far. And yes, this is speculation at this point.

Now this is where I'll stop attempting to explain whatever she may or may not have wanted to say.

All the best!

Not a question about what she was trying to say, but about the message as a whole..

I get the feeling that big buses on small roads is one of the major concerns here. Would the members of the community feel as if their concerns were addressed if buses like this were used:

800px-Mississauga_Transit_Bus_0702.jpg

At 30 feet, it's a heck of alot smaller than a full sized bus and should navigate the narrow streets much better.

That this Route 222 business is an experiment (gone wrong but never admitted) by the Durham Transit Commission because there is no other municipality in the GTA where regular buses actually enter the residential subdivisions does not seem to get noticed here.

Not only do other municipalities also have buses in the residential subdivisions on local streets, their systems have much better coverage and higher frequencies overall than Durham Region Transit. Not only do the other GTA systems have buses dedicated to serving their residential subdivision, they also have some of their high-ridership, high-volume routes go out of their way and detour to service these residential areas.

Check out the 5 Clark loop on Glen Shields in York Region, which has 12 minute rush hour frequency. Or the western loop of 1 Queen in Brampton, which has a 10 minute frequency ALL day. Or the Ogden Ave section of 5 Dixie in Mississauga, which has 9 minute rush hour frequency in BOTH directions. That's one bus (some articulated/60 feet long) every 4.5 minutes.

Durham Region Transit cannot compare to rest of the GTA.

I get the feeling that big buses on small roads is one of the major concerns here. Would the members of the community feel as if their concerns were addressed if buses like this were used...
At 30 feet, it's a heck of alot smaller than a full sized bus and should navigate the narrow streets much better.
Finally some constructive approach! Kudos! You are right RedRocket191, at least part of the problem is that the buses are a major case of overkill for the streets and the ridership. This part of the problem would most likely be addressable by the smaller bus you propose.

There are a few other items:

Noise - If such a bus were also quiet to allow sleeping with open windows, I believe a lot more families would be happier. At 5:30 am, with the arrival of the first bus in the morning, everyone wakes up unless the windows are shot. Trouble is, in the Summer, we'd like to keep the windows open so as not having to run the AC. This has not been possible since the buses started roaring. Thus, with all the ACs running when they should not, we are likely not helping global warming - bus vs. environment 1:0.

Speed of the buses causing danger - Some commentators around here like to trivialize this problem. Well, this is what is called, I believe, the convenience of being out of range. It is not their kids biking in the street when these monsters charge like a boar at 60 km/h in our narrow streets.

In summary, a small, environmentally friendly (electric perhaps), quiet and carefully driven vehicle would likely settle this matter for everyone interested.

Best regards.

Back