Toronto Church and Wellesley | 101.78m | 31s | ONE Properties | S9

Ok, I have to lift one of those images off your Twitter feed so the click-averse see just what you're on about (and rightly so)

1669913549123.png

Look at how much ft2 is being lost to unusable hallway space! Give me a break! I think you're losing over 1/3 of the suite to dead space!

The arrangement at the bottom-right unit in the image leaves much to be desired too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I have to lift one of those images off your Twitter feed so the click-averse see just what you're on about (and rightly so)

View attachment 442234

Look at how much ft2 is being lost to unusable hallway space! Give me a break! I think you're losing over 1/3 of the suite to dead space!

The arrangement at the bottom-right unit in the image leaves much to be desired too!
looks like some great layouts for escape rooms

No-one will be buying them - these are rental replacement units (not that it makes the layouts any better)

No-one will be buying them - these are rental replacement units (not that it makes the layouts any better)
The City should refuse those as unacceptable replacement units.

This should also trigger the City to write a description of what constitutes livable space for units generally, as this is not the only ridiculous plan from the last few years. The situation is not going to get better the way things are going, so before it gets worse, those snaking hallways should be ruled as not livable space.

ONE can do reasonably sized rental replacements units as well. Their 351 Queen project has these.
351queen.jpg

It may be the case here that the units that they are replacing are tiny already; we would need to see a list to find out, like the notations on @ChesterCopperpot's pic above, that compares the size of the old suite with the units that are proposed to replace them. Maybe that info is in the docs, but I have not had the time to go through them yet.

The City does require that the same number of bedrooms are provided in suites of similar size. Maybe these suites are studios? In any case, I stick by what I said that snaking hallways should not constitute acceptable replacement square footage.

If anyone has time to look for a list of the replaced suite sizes, that would be instructive!

This is in the Planning Rationale from Nov 2021.
It's out of date as the new drawings show studio units in the proposed building whereas the last row of the table shows none.

Unit Mix.jpg

City: mandate a minimum % of family-sized units in new condos
Developers (2018): build 2 BR 700 sq ft units, 3 BR 800 sq ft units
Developers(2022): build 2 BR sub-600 sq ft units, 3 BR sub-700 sq ft units

Bravo, City of Toronto!👏👏👏

Realtors have been informing clients that they can re-subdivide 1 + dens into 3 br's: the actual bedroom, the den, the living space where the sofa / TV would be. It's miserable out there...
A 350 sq unit can be subdivided into 3 BRs. I'm sure some developers are already considering the idea. Barring action from the city, it will be the norm for new condos by the end of this decade.

Back