News   Mar 28, 2024
 433     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 304     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 324     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

There's back-scratching, and then there is granting a $7B windfall to developers. If developers are going to be allowed to reap that windfall, I would say the previous property owners should be entitled to sue the province.
Some of that windfall should go to the roads, sewers and infrastructure that the local municipal regions are obliged to provide to any development in what was the green belt. Otherwise the regional governments should refuse to participate.

Last edited:
No one who voted for Ford expected anything else. That’s my point above, Ford’s one of the first premiers I can remember who wears his scumbagginess and cronyism on his shoulder. Ontario voters knew Ford had promised developers he‘d open up the greenbelt and no one believed his back peddling. Ontarians knew what we were voting for. What you see is what you get.

I don't know that that's necessarily the case across the board, Beez. I think there are a not insignificant amount of people who vote for ideological reasons or out of sheer spite, whether their motive is to stick it to the libtards or the deplorables. These types then find themselves supporting some disreputable jackass with a smug self-assurance along the lines of, "He may be a bastard, but he's our bastard!" and then are shocked - shocked, I tells ya!! - when that same asshole doesn't happen to share the sentiment, and they find that, no, they are not somehow magically protected from the brutal policies he/she has every intention on forcing through.

Probably the most notorious example I can think of is when the Air Traffic Controllers' Union endorsed Reagan for President, and then got exactly what they asked for when the old bastard turned around and fired the whole lot of them when they attempted to illegally strike. The goddamn dummies. A little closer to home is a story I read on the front page of the Toronto Star shortly after Mike Harris' election as Premiere. This was when the thuggish nature of the Harris government was really beginning to sink in, surprising absolutely no-one who'd been paying attention. But the Star story quoted some voter, who was blubbering, "I voted for Harris, but I didn't vote for this!" At the time, I found myself thinking, "Well, no, dear, you did vote for this." It's not like Harris made any secret of what kind of man he was during the campaign. And yet, this fool was honestly surprised...or claimed to be. The stupid, it burns sometimes.

Ya, there are members here who explicitly voted for him to spite the NDP and Liberals.
Yes, somewhat like those who voted for his brother and were then surprised he was a disaster. Leopards and spots come to mind!

1669583564418.png

Some of that windfall should go to the roads, sewers and infrastructure that the local municipal regions are obliged to provide to any development in what was the green belt. Otherwise the regional governments should refuse to participate.
I think at the end of the day the municipalities will welcome the extra developments. They may say all the right words about loss of greenbelt etc. but they are beholden to the tax base. I get the sense Durham (or at least Pickering) is already on board.

Last edited:
I think at the end of the day the municipalities will welcome the extra developments. They may say all the right words about loss of greenbelt etc. but they are beholden to the tax base. I get the sense Durham (or at least Pickering) is opening on board.
I believe it's just virtue signaling at this point. The potential development is massive to the municipalities. Its just like the same municipalities condemning the 413 all of a sudden when previously they all supported it and wanted it built pronto.

Its just a game.

I believe it's just virtue signaling at this point. The potential development is massive to the municipalities. Its just like the same municipalities condemning the 413 all of a sudden when previously they all supported it and wanted it built pronto.

Its just a game.
Until they have to pick up the actual costs of development.

Its just a game
It will cost cities millions, under the bill, a developer can tear down affordable rental housing and replace them with expensive condos. This bill will not solve anything.

I believe it's just virtue signaling at this point. The potential development is massive to the municipalities.
I think you mean perpetuating the ponzi scheme that is paying for a backlog of old infrastructure repair and maintenance with new development. It passes the buck down the road and is unsustainable when all you can build are single family homes or massive condos.

If municipalities are lauding this, it’s only because they’re able to stave off inevitable infrastructure and services failure for just a little longer without having to raise taxes to a level that actually supports the massive inefficiency that is modern suburbia.

Except that some of “the rabble” voted for him because …. “Free” license plate registration and all 🙄
Every politician, of every stripe depends on idiots voting against their own interests. As long as they vote your way, it's all good.

Back