News   Mar 28, 2024
 212     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 610     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     0 

Brampton Transit/Zum

A) the no brainer is that its easily the fastest way to the Subway and arguably York U itself.
I bet a lot of those people catching or were pre-covid the 501 A/C at York U are/were transferring from the subway, not starting their trip at York.

Ridership continues to grow, despite service levels that remain below Fall 2019 levels.

September 2022 ridership was 11% above September 2019, and sets a new monthly record at 3,377,512.

Clearly new service needs to be funded, urgently.

Said new service would likely spike ridership even further, too!

Every Zum service needs to be frequent from 6am-12am, 7 days per week, and at least 2 more routes need to have Zum.

Clearly new service needs to be funded, urgently.

Said new service would likely spike ridership even further, too!

Every Zum service needs to be frequent from 6am-12am, 7 days per week, and at least 2 more routes need to have Zum.

The budget shouldn’t be the issue – with such high ridership and less expenses – it’s got to be staffing. But I do think BT will soon launch the 505 extension to the airport, and hopefully other improvements will be part of that. They may have to wait until the municipal election ends.

Speaking of 505, I have checked one of the transit planners to see if there are any changes as they haven’t announced anything yet, and there is definitely some big news for it coming Oct 31st. There is good and there is the rather major disappointment about the service, but it is finally a step in getting somewhere with this route.

Via @A320Lga on twitter:

Have been making some maps of transit frequency in the Toronto region (for something I’m working on with @EnglishRail) and I really never cannot get over the remarkable frequency drop at the York-Toronto line, rel Mississauga/Brampton.

1666363093042.png

That map also always speaks to me as to why the Hamilton LRT makes so much sense. Hamilton runs as many east-west frequent transit corridors in the lower city as the rest of the GTHA 905 has combined. It's not just the Main St service either, King St and Barton both have very frequent transit.

I'm surprised none of the Brampton ZUM corridors qualify for pink.

YRT's lack of even any substantial yellow lines is also hilarious. Yellow should be the bare minimum service level, a bus that comes less than twice an hour is basically useless. Plus, the one green service they operate is the odd stub-BRT in Newmarket which I imagine is usually empty and which they usually run with 30ft mini-buses... Makes no sense.

That map also always speaks to me as to why the Hamilton LRT makes so much sense. Hamilton runs as many east-west frequent transit corridors in the lower city as the rest of the GTHA 905 has combined. It's not just the Main St service either, King St and Barton both have very frequent transit.

I'm surprised none of the Brampton ZUM corridors qualify for pink.

YRT's lack of even any substantial yellow lines is also hilarious. Yellow should be the bare minimum service level, a bus that comes less than twice an hour is basically useless. Plus, the one green service they operate is the odd stub-BRT in Newmarket which I imagine is usually empty and which they usually run with 30ft mini-buses... Makes no sense.
For Brampton Transit the issue is that BT's PM peak service ends at 7 pm and transitions to evening service, which is not very good, and that chart measure schedules until 8 pm.

This basically further proves the lack of service.

Here is the big news, posted on most of the Zum shelters on the corridor. Surprised they haven’t announced it yet as they usually do like 2 weeks before service gets updated, and the schedules on the planners are already updated since time, but guessing that has to do more with the… questionable decisions here..

73D8F13D-2579-4F2F-8EC6-5F4C3EF6B897.jpeg

Yeah, that’s really unfortunate. I suspect that the lack of drivers continues to be a problem, but I really wonder why they bothered at all.

Also, Triplinx is a crappy platform.

Hopefully it sees expanded service. When first launched as Route 101, the 115 airport express service wasn’t very frequent, but it’s gotten more frequent since.

The surprising thing is that 505 is still the big thing from this because there’s also more frequent weekend service every 16 mins on both days, which is exciting to see at the very least that this line is making any if little improvements at all.

The surprising thing is that 505 is still the big thing from this because there’s also more frequent weekend service every 16 mins on both days, which is exciting to see at the very least that this line is making any if little improvements at all.

I don’t like non-clockface schedules, but if that’s an improvement over the old 20 minute service, BT should say so.

Back