News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 592     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 886     0 

News from across Asia

An interesting aspect of that article, both the KMT and the DPP see China essentially as the enemy now. KMT might be a little less provocative than the DPP, but the political climate in Taiwan is such that there is virtually no pro China support left. Neither party is going to be pursuing reunification and both will be deepening ties with the US and increasing military spending. Several high ranking KMT officials just visited the US even. That's a huge political shift from even a few years ago. The trampling of 1C2S in Hong Kong radically transformed Taiwan's political landscape.

China 2022. Not the same as China 1949.
And as I pointed out, neither is Taiwan. It was once a brutal dictatorship. Then it was a democracy with a pro China gov and an anti China opposition. Now it is a liberal democracy, that is de facto independent and both major parties recognize this and act like it.

Furthermore the RBIO is crumbling (at least in my eyes) which is yet another factor.

I was skeptical of Iran protests going anywhere until we see signs of the military supporting the people. It's starting.

A revolution in Iran would be a big win for a lot of people. First and foremost the Iranian people of course, but also Iraq, Israel and the US, assuming one fundamentalist regime isn't replaced with another.

I'm a little worried we're sleepwalking into a conflict over Taiwan and that a full scale war at this point will not be because of a full scale unprovoked invasion, but rather a steady escalation of rhetoric and tensions, creating an escalatory spiral that will eventually spill into a full on conflict.

Currently it's a bit of a who blinks first scenario.

Not worried. If China really starts something, the economic damage may trigger the end of the CCP.

Back