News   Apr 23, 2024
 353     1 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 370     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

Pulse Condominiums in North York (Pemberton, 27s, Burka Varacalli)

A darker precast podium would've been nicer. But WOW... I love these towers. Very sexy in an understated way.

The podiums are pretty crappy, but the towers are awesome.

What's with the trees in front of the Shoppers Drug Mart? They look dead. No leaves!

Very bland and unsophisticated in my opinion. Nothing creative about it... the kind of design you would come up with if you had to draw a building super fast on super low budget... and the round green sheet metal housing for mechanical room is the cherry.
Just wait until all those balconys fill with bicycles, boxes and balcony furniture... with no distinctive pattern or design, they will become the focal point of the building.

Just wait until all those balconies fill with bicycles, boxes and balcony furniture... with no distinctive pattern or design, they will become the focal point of the building.

Residential architecture cannot be kept unblemished and free of bicycles though. What's wrong with that? The buildings are designed for people to live in them, so let the residents LIVE. If that means keeping their stuff on the balcony... well... that will happen. That's how residential architecture works. Just more eclecticism for the city.

I'm not sure I like the angled towers...the area now seems cluttered with towers but there's still no canyon presence. Pulse's podium is vile...and will it have the usual Second Cup, dry cleaners & friends retail?

So what you're saying is you don't like them? ;)

I'm not a fan of the colour but I do like the angle. Judging by the balcony sizes these units must be pretty big. Tall would have been nicer, and a bit more attention to the podium. 6/10

Personally I am not particular fond of the PULSE towers ... it seems too blank for my likings, seems to be consistent to Pemberton's product price though (like Avatarreb said, taste is subjective), it reminds me of 1970 towers built along Bathurst with balconies wrapped around the entire building ... however the podium does serve Yonge well ... none the less I like C-condos and Meridian way more hands down ... though Casa is kind of like Pulse in design, the brownish-black tones make that project more classic and IMO classier

Andrew3D... sorry, these are rather small units targetted to purchasers wishing to invest in a property, many were actually rented out today (given accessiblity to transit of Yonge/Finch), if I recall properly units range from about 500 sq.ft. to 650 sq.ft. (corner units maybe around 800 sq.ft.)

I like the '70s look of these towers... it makes them sort of funky/retro. :)

I live next to these towers. While they are worse than the other projects by Pemberton in the neighbourhood, they are much better than the old Tridel buildings just south of them which don't have balconies at all.

What I don't like about the building is the coldness of it. From street level you can see the bare concrete underbelly of the balconies, and it just looks cold. The other Pemberton buildings on the east side of Yonge are brick and look cozier and warmer. The units do look small though. 650 - 800 sq ft. That's pretty small. I don't understand why they would have such large balconies for such small units. You can't really use your balcony year round. It would have been better to make larger units, but I digress.

The podium does look awful, but it will add more retail to the street. I am looking forward to see what opens there. I was hoping that the No Frills would return, but alas, it doesn't seem to be the case.

As for trees by Shoppers, they do seem dead. Seems like the city doesn't take care of this area very well. There is so much garbage around that doesn't seem to be cleaned up much.

I do like that they repaved Lorraine, Beecroft and Tolman road. Much nicer to drive on.

I do like that they repaved Lorraine, Beecroft and Tolman road. Much nicer to drive on.

Though a lot of that (Beecroft especially) qualifies as reconfiguration/extension/build-anew more than simple "repaving"...

Residential architecture cannot be kept unblemished and free of bicycles though. What's wrong with that? The buildings are designed for people to live in them, so let the residents LIVE. If that means keeping their stuff on the balcony... well... that will happen. That's how residential architecture works. Just more eclecticism for the city.

I disagree. I think appearance of a nice property is more important than being allowed to fill your balcony with shit.
Also, they usually have bike rooms, so bikes should never need to be on the balcony.

Of course the podium adds retail to Yonge...every single new building on Yonge for the past 20 years or so has added street retail.

Tolman is an entirely new road, as is Beecroft. Once Beecroft and Doris are fully built, I think the median on Yonge will be rebuilt with trees and stuff like it is further south. 'Uptown' North York has been under perpetual construction for years now, so it's to be expected that the Yonge & Finch zone will look not "taken care of."

I live next to these towers. While they are worse than the other projects by Pemberton in the neighbourhood, they are much better than the old Tridel buildings just south of them which don't have balconies at all.

In all fairness to the older buildings to the south pictured below, Dynasty (Tridel ??), Tridel's Skyview tower (dated 1984) and TCHC's The Kempford (dated 1986) are all dated from mid 1980s, they are not comparable with new condos just recently built in the area (more than 20 years later), however I still think Pulse doesn't look that much better than these older buildings (but as stated by others before, I understand taste is subjective) ... particularly if you compare Pulse to newer buildings in its immediate vincinity such as Triomphe, Sonata, Symphony Square, Continental/C-Condos, Meridian~

Dynasty
190606.jpg

Skyview
190605.jpg

Kempford
190602.jpg

I also correct my previous posts re: Pulise Units Sizes since I dug up the sales package for Pulse, it showed interior units range from 530-740 sq.ft., and corner units range from 810-950 sq.ft.; Below is the typical tower floorplate

Pulsefloorplate.jpg

Back