Toronto Bloor Street Neighbourhood Condos | ?m | 32s | Cresford | Northgrave

What kills me about this thing is that the tower (floors 17-32) does not bear much relation to the stepped L-shaped section below it.

Bravo.

Were the same architects involved?

Reminds me too much of the ugly 70's behemoth looming over the church at the north-east corner of Bloor and Avenue.

Bloor Street Neighbourhood Progress, June 24, 2008

Work on the 12th floor continues. I imagine we should start to see some sort of cladding soon...

nice to see some different views of this one. Moving along nicely now. Once it hits the slim tower portion, construction should really speed along!

/\ 80s, and I like it. I don't think it overpowers the church as much as cradles it in a comforting bed of PIP concrete.

I agree, that building really hugs the church (of the redeemer me thinks?) and is nice to see a contrast like that between the two buildings!

1. I don't like it. To me, the building overwhelms the site. It's too massy, like a sumo wrestler compared with a well-built gymnast.

2. Second, now every developer in town can count on the OMB allowing lots of extra floors, ignoring the community and planning staff. (i.e. a minor variance is anything you want. There are no major variances any more.)

well, I think we all know that the OMB is just a rubber stamping, developer friendly farce. I wouldnt be surprised at some point if that agency is dismantled, insider connections are found and some people go to jail.

having said that, I think the added height looks good in this case... the extra density is warranted with its proximity to Y & B.

well, I think we all know that the OMB is just a rubber stamping, developer friendly farce. I wouldnt be surprised at some point if that agency is dismantled, insider connections are found and some people go to jail.

That is just total bullshit. OMB cases are just as likely to side with the city, there were over 5,000 cases that went to the OMB last year, the media only picks up the high profile cases that go against council decisions and anti-development NIMBY groups blame to OMB for every problem out there - apparently too many people buy into that crap.

The OMB is not developer friendly they base their cases on evidence and planning law. The problem is local politicians that ignore planning evidence, which is often why applicants appeal to the OMB in the first place. So the OMB sides with provincial and municipal policies, but against the ratepayers and local politicians and people claim that they always side with the developers... they are just siding with provincial and municipal policies previously approved by elected governments.

The agency will not be dismantled any time in the foreseeable future. Bill 51, which came into effect on January 1, 2007 made a number of substantial "municipality friendly" changes to the OMB... there was some pressure to eliminate the OMB, but fortunately the province quickly realized the total mess that planning and development would be in this province if municipal politicians or the courts were the final say in planning matters. Nothing would ever get built in most wards in the city and the cost of housing would skyrocket.

Bloor Street Neighbourhood Progress, July 5, 2008

Working on the 13th level now. The final pic is an oversized panorma of the Charles St side. (turned out a little distorted).

I'm reminded of a building in New York that either interchange or archivist once called "piggy".

EDIT: Archivist called the Pan Am building "piggy". I think that same description applies here for all the same reasons.

June 29th:

2625110658_46eefdf917_b.jpg

Excellent never-before-seen angle... I guess BSN will actually have quite an affect on the skyline from some vantage points.

/\ It's only two floors shorter than your building which, I'm sure, you will be able to pick out of any scenic panorama Casaguy!

Back