News   Mar 28, 2024
 8     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Green Party of Canada: Leadership Race

This is some drama, I'm not sure it's explicitly stated in The Star article above, but from the CBC today:
May says Green Party Leader Annamie Paul, who announced on Sept. 27 she was stepping down as the leader, hasn't actually officially resigned and still controls party communications.
"Someone needed to explain that the reason they weren't hearing from the Green Party is that the communications are controlled by Annamie Paul," May told CBC News.

Last edited:
Is Paul gone yet??

Nope.

From the article:

1635407537942.png

How is she still the leader five weeks after resigning? What kind of odd governance setup do they have in that party? I thought they were much more into grassroots democracy, but apparently they have an autocrat in control somehow?

Apparently there's a battle with regards to reimbursing Paul's legal expenses incurred during the party's push to oust her as leader prior to the election.

It takes major-league chutzpah to expect the party to reimburse her legal fees when she's the one responsible for this mess to begin with. And that doesn't even take into account how dreadfully the Greens did under her so-called leadership.

I think nobody can argue with that (they lost a seat, they got far fewer votes overall, they are close to bankruptcy, they have a leader who resigned but is still there .......) . - the (possible) question is whose fault that was.

There is no question, this is entirely on Paul.

Is she done done?

AoD
Sounds like it's for real this time. The party put out a press release today that they are looking to appoint an interim leader now, and the new leader will be elected six months to the day after the interim leader is appointed, meaning sometime around late May or early June.
Six months is an eternity in a minority government situation though. They will miss out on a lot here. If Paul had just left they could be almost two months in to that process already with a convention around Easter.

Last edited:

Back