Toronto Park Road | 99.3m | 27s | Capital Developments | Diamond Schmitt

An SPA was submitted earlier this month, now 29-storeys.

1630075003957.png

An SPA was submitted earlier this month, now 29-storeys.

View attachment 344403

Obviously this went to LPAT. 29-storeys at Yonge-Bloor is imminently defendable. I said this before, but the neighborhood should have an ask (e.g., streetscape, lighting, etc.) and try to settle -- because they aren't going to get enough height reduction, if any, at LPAT to matter to them. I don't know Capital Developments well, but I imagine flexibility goes out the window once they've paid and delayed to go to the tribunal.

@AlexBozikovic Curious your take on this particular one with the new government advisory panel. Do you think it will have teeth and will this still get whittled to 10 storeys? This is a poster child for neighborhoods being prioritized ...

From Mike Layton’s newsletter:

Virtual Community Consultation Meeting: 717 Church Street Development Application​

My office is hosting a virtual public meeting to discuss the development proposal at 717 Church Street, gather feedback from residents, and answer questions about the project. The applicant, Capital Developments, and City Planning staff will be in attendance.

When: Monday, April 25
Time: 6:30pm-8:00pm
Webex Link: https://toronto.webex.com/toronto/j.php?MTID=me98d175e5800e4416fbdcf8a0961ccc1
Password (if needed): 35999340

The applicant will present the revisions they have made to their proposal, which remains under appeal at the Ontario Land Tribunal. If you are unable to attend, but are interested in learning more, reach out to my office and we will share further information.

Changes from the meeting. Reduction in height by 4 storeys, removal of some balconies, widened sidewalks. City planning is going to recommend that this revised settlement is accepted.

I attended this as well and it included a few unique elements

1. People accusing Layton of misappropriating Section 37s
2. People accusing the developer of paying the engineers to fake reports
3. The head of the RA (I think) saying that the tower should by much taller but also saying the building was too big at the same time
4. The developer team basically just staring into space

It sounds like the Councillor and Planning is saying that this is winnable by the developer at the OLT above and beyond planning

Settlement offer is before Council next week; but the report is entirely confidential at this time.

I assume the confidential document #1 is the recommendation to accept the revised proposal which was presented at the community meeting (I don’t believe they ever filed those), with #2 and #3 being said revised proposal docs.

During the meeting, City Planning & Councillor Layton mentioned something about trying to approve this proposal before changes to the laws around Section 37 benefits come into effect, although I’m not too knowledgeable in this area.

New renderings are updated. There are many project information changes. The total unit count was reduced from 300 units to 270 units. Overall building storey count reduced from 29 to 27 storey. The building height changed from 105.85m to 95.00m. Finally, the total parking count changed from 3 to 5 parking.

"The tower has been reduced from its original proposal of 30 storeys to 27, as well as being subject to a slew of other changes... City Planning responded with a preliminary report arguing that the proposed tower was too tall for the area, which they asserted should offer a transition between the multi-storey towers to the south, and the detached homes of the Rosedale neighbourhood to the north. They also commented that the proposed building didn't fit the greater planned built-form context of the area, and cast too many shadows on the surrounding neighbourhood... height reduction to 27 storeys – which reduces the shadow impact of the building, drops the number of units from 300 to 270 (with a large portion of east-facing balconies removed as well)..."

2022 PLANNING Priorities = 'Don't SHADOW the lowrise, Don't have BALCONIES 'overlooking' the Low-Rise...etc.."

https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2022/07/capital-developments-settles-city-church-street-triangle-condo

New renderings are updated in the database. The following information are changed. The overall building height changed from 95.00m to 98.97m. The total unit count increased from 270 units to 293 units. Finally, total parking was reduced from 5 parking spaces to 3 parking spaces.

Renderings are taken from the architectural plan via Site Plan Approval:

PLN - Architectural Plans - OCT 18  2022-19.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - OCT 18  2022-21.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - OCT 18  2022-25.jpg

Back