News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 635     0 

Kensington Market

An overnight fire at the Latin American Emporium building on 243 Augusta Ave:

kensington.JPG

View attachment 286701

It's a bloodbath really. That ancient, Honest Ed's type store just off Augusta on the north side of the park called Smart is about to close too. Been there forever. Not many of those old school, no-name junk shops left.

Looks like a new building sprang up in Kensington during 2020.

From my understanding, it used to be the other (southern) half of the pitched roof stuctural form that went together with the Cafe Pamenar building:

View attachment 293856

Does that ever look odd.

This bit, in particular:

1610654537220.png

Its like 2 different buildings going to war saying....no 'my exterior goes in front'.......'no mine!'...........

Another small mom and pops grocery store gone, as Sun Wah Fruit Market at Augusta & Baldwin has closed.

From r/toronto on Reddit:

I'm afraid that what Kensington once was is largely gone.

Its an outdoor hipster food market now.

I don't completely lament this............ I like Sanagan's, I liked Moo Frites, I like several of the spots there......

Also, I'm old enough to remember the live chickens being butchered to order......and.......well..........the smell wasn't great.

That said, its the passing of the last vestiges of another era. That is a shame in many ways.

I don't completely lament this............ I like Sanagan's, I liked Moo Frites, I like several of the spots there......

Also, I'm old enough to remember the live chickens being butchered to order......and.......well..........the smell wasn't great.

That said, its the passing of the last vestiges of another era. That is a shame in many ways.
When the city got involved, starting with the removal of the abattoirs, that Kensington started to go downhill, because of all the rules.

I like Sanagan’s too, but miss European Quality Meats more. It was the type of place that Italian and Portuguese families would drive to on weekends to stock up for the month.

I doubt those families are making the same trip now.

I like Sanagan’s too, but miss European Quality Meats more. It was the type of place that Italian and Portuguese families would drive to on weekends to stock up for the month.

I doubt those families are making the same trip now.
They found out that there was better money going wholesale.

‘Gritty’ murals decorating El Mocambo Lane to celebrate local resilience

25 mural and graffiti artists take part in project organized by city and businesses

Oct 24, 2021

The storied El Mocambo bar and music venue is scheduled to reopen Oct. 30 after a long closure — demonstrating the resilience of local businesses and communities, as celebrated in a new set of murals gracing the laneway, the city says.

The project was launched Oct. 18, featuring 24 murals painted by 25 street, mural and graffiti artists, many of whom have already been painting murals in the laneway for years, according to a city news release.

The new works are themed “Grit” to represent the area surviving and bouncing back after the ongoing pandemic.

“The Grit laneway project celebrates the courage, strength and unique character of the local residents and businesses of Kensington Market and Chinatown, and showcases the legendary El Mocambo,” said University-Rosedale councillor Mike Layton in the release.

“These communities have endured in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic and I would like to thank the organizations and businesses that came together to bring this mural series to reality,” he said.

The murals are in the laneway, informally styled El Mocambo Lane, running behind the club at 464 Spadina Ave. and other businesses.

Photos from the article:

elmo1.jpg
elmo2.jpg
elmo3.jpg

Wanted to take the toddler to the main park in Kensington last month on a nice warm day, only to find it overrun by another tent city...

Back