News   Mar 28, 2024
 91     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Cycling: West Toronto Railpath (City of Toronto, Phase II Proposed)

In a report to next week's General Government and Licensing Committee the City is moving to carry out an expropriation in service of building the Rail Path Extension.

From the report:

There is both a requirement for a permanent take, as well as a temporary easement:

1618839332494.png

1618839278661.png

I'm not sure whether this is new information or how long this info has been on the city's site, but I noticed some stronger language than I've seen before regarding the eastern leg of the Railpath along the Barrie Corridor to connect north to Bloor and beyond via the Davenport Diamond Greenway:
Situated on Bloor Street West between St. Helen’s Avenue and the Barrie rail corridor, the new station will feature bike parking, entrance at Bloor street (lower) level and at platform (upper) level, plaza and landscaping at the platform level, one tunnel connecting East and West platforms and a multi-use path from the Davenport Diamond Greenway north of Bloor Street to Dundas. This multi-use path will be routed adjacent to the Barrie GO Rail Corridor and will provide connection to the West Toronto Railpath.

I always assumed that the path was a future project, but it sounds like it could be built at the same time as the Bloor/Lansdowne "SmartTrack" (a.k.a. regular GO with a fancy name) station. I wonder whether any funding has been allocated for the path.

I'm not sure whether this is new information or how long this info has been on the city's site, but I noticed some stronger language than I've seen before regarding the eastern leg of the Railpath along the Barrie Corridor to connect north to Bloor and beyond via the Davenport Diamond Greenway:

I always assumed that the path was a future project, but it sounds like it could be built at the same time as the Bloor/Lansdowne "SmartTrack" (a.k.a. regular GO with a fancy name) station. I wonder whether any funding has been allocated for the path.

I was noticing this too. It will be a tight squeeze south of Bloor, and maybe not as pretty as the West Toronto Railpath, but it will be a very welcome connection.

I wonder how they will bring the path through the station though. I wonder if there's enough room for tracks, platforms, and a trail. Looking forward to seeing more detailed design.

I believe a big reason the Smart Track program is relatively so expensive is that the city is shoe-horning a lot of other programs in with it (St. Clair Transportation Improvements, etc.). So I wouldn't be surprised to see it included.

According to a report (linked below) heading to the next Gov't and Licensing Ctte, stage 2 expropriation is set to proceed for 50 Alma, in service of the West Toronto Railpath extension.

Report here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/gl/bgrd/backgroundfile-170377.pdf

From said report:

Construction for the W.T.R.E. and associated works is tentatively planned to begin in
the first quarter of 2022

Apparently Mx will be tendering this work..........lets hope they don't change their mind! (for those following the Dufferin Bridge thread)

1631111366983.png

We learn via member motion that one property owner has not come to terms with the City; and as such authorization to expropriate is now being sought.

This might (or might not) delay things a tiny bit.

What's required:

1643902568585.png

Aerial Pic:

1643902713757.png

HT @SaugeenJunction

HT @Northern Light

I wonder if this will assist with moving the Extension construction work forward?

HT @SaugeenJunction

HT @Northern Light

I wonder if this will assist with moving the Extension construction work forward?
Yes, I believe that the 4th track work in the Kitchener Corridor is a pre-requisite for the rail path extension.

Residents want a firm timeline for West Toronto Railpath extension

'Let's get this thing done': resident

News 06:00 AM by Veronica Appia

2 years later in 2022...residents STILL want a firm timeline for West Toronto Railpath extension.

I just checked the project page and it just says "construction starting 2022." Tomorrow we're at the halfway point of 2022, let's get going FFS!

Got a notice in the mail the other day from Metrolinx saying that tree clearing and vegetation removal will be starting this month.
Background

Work is underway to deliver the GO Expansion Program - the largest transit expansion in Canadian history. To allow fast, quiet, electrified, two-way, all-day service that will come with GO Expansion, Metrolinx will build new track, signals, rail facilities and electrification infrastructure, modify and build bridges, and improve crossings across the core segments of the GO rail network. Metrolinx will be building a new track on the Kitchener GO line, next to the West Toronto Railpath. Part of this work will include construction of a new entrance to Bloor GO Station, a new community park at Ernest Avenue, and a realignment of the Railpath, on behalf of the City of Toronto. Invasive tree species on the railpath and inside the rail corridor will be removed to facilitate this work and will be replaced within the City of Toronto through a compensation program based on the Metrolinx Vegetation Guideline (2020). The final path realignment will include landscaping with native trees, shrubs, and vine walls.

What work is taking place?

Crews will clear and remove some of the trees and vegetation located within the rail corridor and West Toronto Railpath between Dundas Street West and Dupont Street. Fencing will be installed around trees to be protected.

Maybe this means the railpath realignment is imminent?

Here's the full flyer: https://www.metrolinx.com/en/greate...r/4th-Track-Tree-Removal-Notice-June-2022.pdf

Back