News   Mar 28, 2024
 976     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 549     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 843     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

We can't close the US border off totally because thousands of trucks cross every day to keep the supply chain going. Then we would really be out of toilet paper!

Not only that, Many Snowbirds reside in the US to the maximum that their rules allow. Exceeding that might render them in the country illegally. Also, there are IRS implications that I don't fully understand but have heard much about. Exceeding certain time limits or other residency rules makes you subject to US tax filing. The US could possibly waive them but I don't know what legislative mechanics would be required. For certain, no medical coverage would be the big and immediate concern, and I can't see private carriers playing nice.
It's self-reporting at this point, but with enhanced border controls re dates of entry/exit, that may change. For tax purposes, Form 8840 lets you let the IRS know you are paying taxes in Canada and want to keep it that way and how many days you spent there.

We can't close the US border off totally because thousands of trucks cross every day to keep the supply chain going. Then we would really be out of toilet paper!

Majority of our TP is made here. LOL

Canada is the leading supplier of the pulp that makes TP.

Be that as it may, your point stands in regard to a host of other products!

Another gem from the good folks at the Beaverton

Canada announces it will exclusively import COVID-19 from the US

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2020/03/canada-announces-it-will-exclusively-import-covid-19-from-us/

OTTAWA – Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced today that all forms of coronavirus coming from outside from the country must come from American citizens.

“Today, we are announcing that any person infected with COVID-19 not exhibiting symptoms must be a Canadian, a permanent resident of Canada, or a citizen of the United States,” said Trudeau in a press conference held outside his house. “Trading with the United States, whether it’s steel, lumber, or deadly diseases, is critical to Canada. We need to maintain this important free-trade relationship.”

With the rising levels of cases and evidence of community-acquired infections, the government of Canada is protecting its citizens by relying on its neighbour whose President appears to be living in a different universe.

“The borders are closed to everyone, unless they’re citizens of a country with no functioning healthcare system for anyone who isn’t a millionaire,” said Trudeau.

Canada and the US are still working on whether a fever will be defined as either 38 C or 101.5 F.

Issue: Why has Roxham Road not been shut down yet, or an legal alternative provided for illegal migrants? Why has this issue essentially been in stasis for so long?

#COVID19 Roxham Road in St-Bernard-de-Lacolle remains a colander. About 30 migrants a day. @tvanouvelles learned that Quebec City is in discussions with Ottawa to prevent them from all of them being in Montreal. In #direct #TVA12h

Canada’s partial travel ban over COVID-19 will not stop asylum seekers from crossing into the country at unofficial entries, but Public Safety Minister Bill Blair said intercepted migrants will face additional health checks and be asked to self-isolate.
More than 57,000 asylum seekers have entered Canada through unauthorized border crossings since 2017, when President Donald Trump announced a crackdown on illegal immigration. The majority of the crossings have occurred at a single entry point along Roxham Road in Saint-Bernard-de-Lacolle, Que.

Last edited:
Issue: Why has Roxham Road not been shut down yet, or an legal alternative provided for illegal migrants? Why has this issue essentially been in stasis for so long?
I've never understood why this area hasn't just been fenced up and closed. We have a legal alternative for migrants, it's called legal immigration, same as my parents did.

Well, the far right people complaining about Roxham Road got their wish. All migrants will be turned away now via a mutual agreement.

Well, the far right people complaining about Roxham Road got their wish. All migrants will be turned away now via a mutual agreement.
I’m hardly far right, but migrants should be coming to Canada the same way I did, application through the Canadian embassy in your country of origin. If you’re already in the US, apply for refugee status there, and when/if they reject your claim you can come and apply in Canada. But Canada shouldn’t be accepting any refugee claims from people coming from the US who have not already had a refugee claim processed in the US. That’s the entire point of the first safe country agreement.

Trudeau seems to be doing a very good job, IMO. Though the bar is low since the fool in the White House.
TBH, governmental healthcare in Canada is almost an entirely different beast from the US, since a lot of its responsibilities are held by the provinces. Medicare, Medicaid, the CDC and the FDA need to be completely revamped after this crisis passes, IMO.

On this front, I think Legault is doing well, Ford is doing better than expected (low bar there), and at least the Federal government is finally getting off its butt and handling its main responsibility better in closing the borders and coordinating responses- Freeland has been doing a good job since she was handed the files.

at least the Federal government is finally getting off its butt and handling its main responsibility better in closing the borders..
It’s not a border issue. I’d say all if not nearly all of the Covid19 cases are from Canadian citizens or permanent residents returning from Asia and then spreading it amongst their communities. Even with a closed border these citizens and permanent residents are guaranteed entry into Canada.

So let‘s stop this Trumpian talk of threats on the borders. This isn’t a case of dirty foreigners spreading disease amongst the Canadian populace.

Last edited:
I believe that the majority of Canadian cases are now from people returning from the U.S.

It’s not a border issue. I’d say all if not nearly all of the Covid19 cases are from Canadian citizens or permanent residents returning from Asia and then spreading it amongst their communities. Even with a closed border these citizens and permanent residents are guaranteed entry in Canada.

So let‘s stop this talk of threats on the borders. This isn’t a case of dirty foreigners spreading disease amongst the populace.
I think your take is misdirected- do you think that closing the borders for non-essential travel between Canada and US is useless?

Back