Toronto Aga Khan Museum + Ismaili Centre | ?m | ?s | Aga Khan Dev. | Maki and Associates

I thought this was interesting in the Canadian Architect article:

"In return for relocating some of the existing fencing along the property line, the AKDN will maintain the adjacent City property, as well as upgrade its plantings and grading. <...snip...> Even a nearly inaccessible traffic island will be upgraded and maintained so that the impact of Wynford Park's landscape can extend as far into the community as possible."

If that is the traffic island that I'm thinking it is (circular space within the West-bound Eglinton to South-bound DVP ramp) that is a huge additional area. Is there any precedent for that, IE a fully privately funded project landscape / maintain such a large traffic island? I think it's a great idea.

Much as I mourn the passing of the corporate Bata building, a local Modernist structure of some significance, we're gaining a brand new cultural attraction on the site that everyone can enjoy. The ROM and AGO are expanding, and getting buildings that display their collections more effectively, and I think T.O's nicely ahead on all counts.

Aga Khan's cultural centre crown jewel for Don Mills
April 02, 2008
Christopher Hume
Urban Affairs Columnist

Perhaps the Aga Khan knows something we don't. Why else would the spiritual leader of the world's 15 million Ismaili Muslims have chosen a 7-hectare site near Don Mills and Eglinton to build his $200 million community centre/cultural campus?

Most Torontonians would have dismissed that location without a second thought; after all Wynford Dr., where the old Bata and Shell corporate sites were located, is more a drive-by corner than a destination.

But once the transformation is complete, sometime around 2011, it will be a full-fledged international destination, a place for all.

The three-part project consists of a museum and a community/religious centre surrounded by gardens. Though work won't begin until later this year, drawings show a complex of rare beauty that, even more amazing, is rendered in the language of contemporary architecture. Unlike most such religious/culture centres that have appeared recently in these parts, this one looks to the future, not the past.

The designer of the museum, intended to house the Aga Khan's exquisite collection of Islamic art and artifacts, is none other than acclaimed Japanese architect Fumihiko Maki. The Pritzker Prize winner has conceived a state-of-the-art facility clad in white stone and set off by a dome—like metal structure on the roof. Inside, there will be a 350-seat theatre as well as all the usual features – library, café, restaurant and storage.

It sits north of the centre by Charles Correa, another celebrated architect, in this case from Mumbai. A modernist known for his sensitivity to local conditions, Correa has contributed a low-slung building also highlighted by a multi-faceted dome rendered in glass. The centre will contain the meeting rooms and various spaces. The jamatkhana, or prayer room, is the sacred part of the complex; it will be a simple, unadorned area lit by the dome above. Clad in limestone, this large rambling structure reads like a geological feature, part of the landscape; it's the largest element on site.

In between and all around will be a series of gardens, ponds, fountains and rows of trees that can be expected to erase all signs of suburbia. Designed by Vladimir Djurovic of Lebanon, this green space takes its inspiration from the traditional Islamic idea of the garden as a place of quiet contemplation and enclosed beauty. It must also serve to block out the nearby parkway and off-ramp, the major arterials and the whole apparatus of a postwar car-based city.

Interestingly, the Aga Khan, who signs off on all plans, was strongly in favour of the gardens – and underground parking for 750 cars. His Highness was concerned about what kind of image the centre will send to the population at large. He wanted non-Ismailis to feel as welcome as possible, and also to be confronted with the sheer beauty of the complex.

Given the number of surface lots in Toronto, one might think we love them, but thankfully the Aga Khan doesn't. Though his demand will raise the cost of the project, that's a price he's willing to pay.

For this, and everything else, we should be eternally grateful. It is revealing that the Aga Khan and his foundation treat this city with more respect than most developers who work here. Not only did Toronto win the museum over London, England, the plan will empower three important architects to help transform Toronto.

The Aga Khan is also hard at work in Ottawa, converting the old War Museum of Sussex Dr. into the Global Centre for Pluralism. There's another Ismaili centre, also designed by Maki, under construction in the embassy district.

Too often the subtext of the diversity debate focuses on what Canada can do for immigrants. This time, it's about how much they can do for Canada – and Toronto.

Christopher Hume writes on urban development, To reach him, email chume@thestar.ca.

I believe adding an international destination in the form of a multi-faceted campus and park, is not "even steven" in my books. Architects of international calibre, and spaces of global significance are few and far between, and there is international competition for them. I'm not sure how many such things there are currently in Toronto (or even Canada) as a whole!

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am very excited about the Ismaili Centre, both for how it represents to Toronto on a world cultural stage as well as its architectural contribution. I'm not cynical when I say that I'm very proud that our city has the international wherewithal to snap up something like this over the usual defaults of London or New York. I just lament that a seminal piece of Canadian modern architecture had to be demolished to accommodate this cultural landmark. I know it's not how land deals work, but why couldn't they have sacrificed the SuperStore next door, or the townhouses across the street? It seems to be a Toronto tradition, where some of our best buildings give way to a new crop of first rate architecture.

Actually, we lost a Moffat Kinoshita to Libeskind. Score one for TO.

You're right. And, yes, that was a trade up.

^^ interesting.

Please do share when it is ready. From what I understand, the thoughtfulness around this project is beyond what has traditionally happened. That is very positive. It is interesting that we recently brought the Transit City plan into the discussion, as I'm thinking that may be very important to this project over the years.

Meanwhile, the exhibition of just some of the artifacts from the Aga Khan's collection that will eventually be housed in Toronto continues its world tour. After stops in Parma, London and Paris it is now in Lisbon until July.

And, at a slight tangent, for ROM members there is an hour long talk on Friday at 11:00 am Islam in the Wirth Gallery of the Middle East by curator Lisa Golombek, in the museum's Eaton theatre.

Meanwhile, the exhibition of just some of the artifacts from the Aga Khan's collection that will eventually be housed in Toronto continues its world tour. After stops in Parma, London and Paris it is now in Lisbon until July.

Yeah - forgot about that. It opened in Lisbon at the Calouste Gulbenkian Museum in May.

entry_300.jpg

Press release:
http://www.akdn.org/news/2008March13_Gulbenkian.html

General information on the AKTC's Museum projects:
http://www.akdn.org/agency/aktc_museum.html

walli: Do you have any details ( beyond what's in press releases ) concerning what items will be on display when the collection comes to Toronto? It would be nice to get some sort of sneak preview! Other than the ROM's collection, there isn't much historical Islamic art on display in town, that I can think of.

walli: Do you have any details ( beyond what's in press releases ) concerning what items will be on display when the collection comes to Toronto?

I don't have a full account of what will be in there, and I believe that would be quite extensive. What I do have is the catalogue of the Spirit & Life exhibition, which was the subset of items displayed in London. The book is actually quite fabulous. There is also some discussion in the book "Under the Eaves of Architecture".

There is pretty good information on the web about the specific AKM collection up at the Calouste Gulbenkian Museum:

http://www.museu.gulbenkian.pt/agakhan/detalhe.asp?id=2&lang=en

Navigation is along the left-hand column for the most part. The exhibition, called 'The Path of Princes' is split into two, with several sub-categories:

1. The Word of God
1.1 The test of the Qur'an and its supports
1.2 Devotional and mystical worlds
1.3 The Garden as Paradise

2. The Power of the Ruler
2.1 Great Courts
2.1.1 The Fatimids (909-1171)
2.1.2 The Ottomans (1299-1922)
2.1.3 The Safavids (1501-1736)
2.1.4 The Qajars (1799-1925)
2.1.5 The Mughals (1526-1858)
2.2 The Path of Princes
2.2.1 Education and Learning
2.2.2 Fables and Myths
2.2.3 Riding and Hunting
2.2.4 Love and Literature
2.2.5 Music
2.2.6 Patronage of the Arts
2.2.7 Power and Kingship

Each of the above sections has a picture of a sample item with description, as well as a 'learn more' button that provides more information.

These temporary exhibitions also have along with them lectures and performances, and I believe that is the idea with the museum also - so it will certainly not be static!

Some of you may not know the Aga Khan's extensive engagement in the arts (let alone all of his engagements spanning numerous areas, particularly of development). Currently, there is a concert tour going through the US called 'A Mystical Journey' - CNN has a clip on it. This type of performance might be relevant to the museum also, as the building will of course also have a theatre. [note - 'A Mystical Journey' did have multiple shows at Roy Thompson Hall in Toronto previously also]:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2008/03/30/mystical.journey.nat.cnn

Hope this post is helpful, and thank-you for asking such questions by the way.

I have the catalogue for the exhibition in London (2 files, PDF format) - they are fairly large but I can provide them upon request.

AoD

Aga Khan Historic Cities Program - Exhibition

I thought this would be interesting for some. It is amazing what they've been able to do creating public spaces from un-used spaces such as in Cairo, or reinvigorated spaces that in times of old were places of gathering.

-----
http://www.canadianarchitect.com/issues/ISArticle.asp?id=82562&issue=04052008

Historic Cities exhibition launches in Canada

The Historic Cities Programme launched its Canadian Tour in Montreal on April 1, 2008 and will tour Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary. An initiative of the Aga Khan Trust for Culture and brought to Canada in partnership with His Highness Prince Aga Khan Shia Imami Ismaili Council for Canada, the exhibition provides a unique lens on the role of culture in development. For the past 25 years, the Programme has promoted the conservation and reuse of buildings and public spaces in historic cities in the Muslim World. The work is undertaken in ways that spur social, economic and cultural development and builds community participation, trains local professionals and institutions.

"The Exhibition shows five projects, each undertaken within a different context in Egypt, Syria, Mali, India, and Afghanistan, while the underlying approach and philosophy cuts across all of the locations," said Karim Rahemtulla of the Aga Khan Trust for Culture. "Each shows how conservation and revitalization of cultural heritage – often the only asset available to the community – can provide a trampoline for social development. Our experience suggests that such projects have a positive impact on conservation, strengthening of local civil society and governance, increase in incomes and economic opportunities, greater respect for human rights and better stewardship of the environment."

While culture is often thought of as a "luxury", the Exhibition offers a perspective that looks at culture as an asset that can transform communities. Many of these communities have a rich cultural heritage, yet live in poverty. Over 1/3 of cities designated by UNESCO as world heritage sites are in the Muslim world and the work of the Historic Cities Program instills a sense of pride in those cities and communities in their own histories. In war-torn Afghanistan, the programme has undertaken three projects including the Garden of Babur, the Timur Shah Mausoleum, which have been anchors for a range of related human development initiatives.

The exhibition will be on display to the public as follows:

April 1-14, 2008: the McCord Museum in Montreal
April 16-19, 2008: Metro Hall, Toronto
April 20-25, 2008: Ontario Science Centre, Toronto

April 26-28, 2008: University of Waterloo School of Architecture, Cambridge
May 11-29, 2008: Pendulum Gallery, Vancouver
July 4-14, 2008: Ismaili Jamatkhana and Centre, Calgary

The Historic Cities Exhibition is an international initiative commemorating the Golden Jubilee of His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan as the Imam (spiritual leader) of the Shia Imami Ismaili Muslims. The Aga Khan Trust for Culture is part of the Aga Khan Development Network, The Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) is a group of development agencies with mandates ranging from health and education to architecture, culture, microfinance, disaster reduction, rural development, the promotion of private-sector enterprise and the revitalisation of historic cities. The work of AKDN is inspired by the ethics and seeks to uphold the dignity of humankind.

His Highness the Aga Khan is Founder and Chairman of the Network. For more information on the AKDN, visit www.akdn.org.

-----
http://www.theismaili.org/cms/225/Historic-Cities-Programme-Exhibition

Historic Cities Programme Exhibition

The Historic Cities Programme Exhibition is an international initiative of the Aga Khan Trust for Culture commemorating the Golden Jubilee of Mawlana Hazar Imam. It features five of the Trust's projects in Egypt, Syria, Mali, India, and Afghanistan, and provides a unique lens on the role of culture in development. During the Jubilee year, the Exhibition will tour cities in various countries around the world.

690.jpg

Aerial view of Al Azhar Park, Cairo, Egypt, showing the restored Ayyubid Wall with the Darb al-Ahmar district to the left. Photo: Photo: Courtesy of AKTC

Through the Exhibition, the Aga Khan Trust for Culture aims to showcase its development approach, and to promote a wider understanding of Islamic architecture and ethical engagement with the built environment. Over the past 25 years, the Historic Cities Programme has demonstrated that the restoration and beautification of historic buildings and cultural monuments can help revitalise dilapidated neighbourhoods and catalyse socioeconomic rehabilitation, particularly in communities that live in poverty but are rich in cultural heritage. The Programme leverages cultural assets to mobilise communities in addressing unmet social and economic needs, thereby “investing in cultural treasures to breathe life into the legacy of the past.â€

Eleven flagship projects are featured as part of the HCP Exhibition, including the Bagh-e-Babur in Kabul, Afghanistan and the Al-Azhar Park in Cairo, Egypt. The geographic breadth of the Exhibition underscores the fact that approximately one-third of cities designated as World Heritage Sites by UNESCO are in the Muslim world, often in areas that lack the necessary resources to revitalise their cultural assets.

272.jpg

Delhi, India. The restoration of the Gardens of Humayun’s Tomb was completed by AKTC in 2003 and included the work on the gardens, water channels and fountains. Photo: AKTC/Gary Otte

The Bagh-e-Babur involved the renovation and rejuvenation of the near-ruined 16th century garden in which the first Mughal Emperor, Babur, is buried. Connecting with the Imamat’s Fatimid heritage, the Al-Azhar Park project turned a 500 year-old garbage dump into a 74-acre park that has been coined the “green lung of Cairo.†Together with the development of the park, the Trust rehabilitated the neighbouring Darb al-Ahmar district, a living treasure of Islamic architecture. In view of the Trust’s work, Dallas Evans, former Deputy Mayor of Operations of the Government of the District of Columbia, commented: “Rather than pulling down the old and replacing them with new high rises, we should take the example of the AKTC and revive our neighbourhoods and give them new life.â€

The Exhibition was inaugurated on 21 September 2007, at the American Institute of Architects in Washington, D.C., before travelling to 11 other cities in the United States. Over 20 000 people have viewed the HCP Exhibition to date, and some 600 Jamati youth have engaged in dialog about the cultural work of the Imamat and the ethical underpinnings of the Trust for Culture's projects. The Exhibition is currently touring six Canadian cities, from April – July 2007.

-----
LINK TO THE OFFICIAL SITE FOR THE AGA KHAN HISTORIC CITIES PROGRAMME
http://www.akdn.org/agency/aktc_hcsp.html

n509193422_461962_4529.jpg

I was in Delhi a few weeks ago and was able to see the magnificent work Aga Khan has done on the grounds of Humayun's Tomb - absolutely incredible!

Back