Monde Condominiums (Great Gulf Homes) - Real Estate -

Hello everyone. Sorry to dropping by but general question for you. I am interested in buying a unit at Monde but since this is a big investment, I want to hear from people living there.

Flood / water level potential issues:
I have some concerned about water level and potential flood issues.
I am interested in knowing your thoughts about this as you are already owners / renters...
how do you feel about flood being @ water front?

Noise:
- Is the insulation good in the building?

Parking:
Also, can you clarify how many parking level does Monde has? Do you know if it's 5 or 6 level? (again, I am concerned about flood because the parking I would get would be in P5)

Bus Schedule:
Is the transportation on time and reliable so far?

thanks so much!

Does anyone know why this building does not have vents for dryers? What could be the reasons that they opted for not building vents? Vents seem to be a standard feature in modern buildings. I have encountered their absence only in old buildings. My concern is that at some point they will stop making ventless dryers and in general, it would be very hard to replace washer/dryers. I do not believe it was because of the size of the appliance.

If anything, the opposite is true. Vented dryers are becoming harder and harder to find as condensing units are becoming the new standard (because of efficiency)

What do you mean by more efficiency? Surely it is not a functional efficiency...takes several hours to dry a couple of towels. Do you mean installation efficiency? And are there any other condo buildings with ventless systems? I am not aware of any but I do know that ventless machines share about 2% of the overall North American market, this is why I am concerned.

Last edited:
What do you mean by more efficiency? Surely it is not a functional efficiency...takes several hours to dry a couple of towels. Do you mean installation efficiency? And are there any other condo buildings with ventless systems? I am not aware of any but I do now that ventless machines share about 2% of the overall North American market, this is why I am concerned.

energy efficiency

Does anyone in the building have high voltage electrical box in their kitchen cabinet? So far I was not able to get an answer from the builder why this is necessary and why it would not be behind the wall. They say it suppose to be like that. I find this strange and have never seen that in other buildings.
94959FF6-4654-4CC7-AACD-DE5C94E9F8B4.jpeg

Builders are using them because they are cheap cheap cheap. Energy efficiency might be a secondary rationale but it's certainly not the primary reason builders are increasingly using these units.
To elaborate on your point - condensing units are actually MORE expensive than the standard vented machine. However, I believe you're right, I assume it has more to do with the expense of building the exhaust system that leads to the outside of the unit. There is also the added points that go towards LEED status for using these machines.

Side note, In Europe some countries actually ban vented machines because of their toll on the environment. The majority of Europe uses condensing units, more so because of the smaller spaces available. You can put these units anywhere there is an outlet.

In Europe most buildings are old or very old and they simply do not have a choice in the matter. Ventless is better than nothing. However some newer buildings do have vents; but there is not as much new construction going on there compared to here, and there are also some cultural expectations of standards of living that are different in small European cities. For example, new houses (not condos) in Bergamo do not have air conditioners at all, people are content to use cooler basements in the summer. However, they have larger washing machines and vented dryers. They also seem to have more time over there. Here it is hard to find enough time to dry beddings and towels in the ventless.
Moreover, a ventless machine needs to be installed in an open space because there is condensation and moisture, so it is fine when installed in a kitchen or corridor, like in Europe but here they put them in a small closet - recipe for mould issue.

Last edited:
Also we - unfortunately IMHO - frown upon people hanging their clothes to dry in the balconies (amongst various other balcony restrictions).

The lady who did my PDI said almost all the patch-work near window frames are messed up like this. I think it's the norm we all have to accept.

what the fuck?

How is that acceptable by any stretch. People paid hundreds of thousands for these units and Great Gulf can't be bothered to accept responsibility because 'well, the whole building is shoddy shit?'. That's totally not ok. They should be sued.

what the fuck?

How is that acceptable by any stretch. People paid hundreds of thousands for these units and Great Gulf can't be bothered to accept responsibility because 'well, the whole building is shoddy shit?'. That's totally not ok. They should be sued.

Welcome to buying in Toronto's condo boom.

I would advise potential buyers to avoid Monde and Great Gulf. I took occupancy of my first home purchase in August and have only had headaches ever since. My washing machine flooded on day 2 after moving in and Customer Care made a lot of promises they failed to keep. Horrible, shoddy work in this building.
11FE10C5-FBB6-4499-9F67-AAE4EE325B03.jpeg
48F0F22E-2C6F-4AF1-984D-5E1B4B6B2154.jpeg
8C5657CA-016B-4C83-B248-8E85988AB851.jpeg
BAAD33C6-40D5-40BB-B901-9003B36C9639.jpeg
B4D56E33-FC3C-4D40-8A50-F6E3843D3F67.jpeg
9171D682-2AF1-4DF0-B1B3-C1F7F0045C1B.jpeg
ADF998ED-AF73-422F-B673-16098AAEC477.jpeg
328AA92E-1940-4792-B083-A180BC39C206.jpeg
518C6881-A562-4D7B-A442-09727E4F39E4.jpeg
B24D6031-2DA4-4D54-BFC0-AB2DF256DED1.jpeg
5B05A7CA-4DA9-413B-945D-D08AD9874539.jpeg
E981CA3B-FBCE-47CA-A0C2-6B1FACEA7A29.jpeg
12EF8D1E-F358-4B00-A290-9003BA446BFA.jpeg
58FA4CFC-D495-4DA2-8297-8987B01EEC69.jpeg
4D43DF6B-51D1-4D16-B9F1-93BA0DEB08D8.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to giant headache that is buying pre-construction. As bad as this looks, I'd say it's about par for the course with most builders. Doesn't mean you should accept it. Get on their ass to fix the deficiencies.

Sadly I have experienced and seen much worse.
Besides the washer flooding, it looks to be mostly cosmetic which are easy fixes.
What you have to be worried about are electrical, HVAC, plumbing, other mechanical and stuff you don’t see inside the walls.
Be very patient but very persistent, builders are trying to get these units completed for occupancy so scrapes, scratches, dents are just the result of this rush and are common. The first few months will be chaotic and a mess with most developers.

Back